• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 MJ Electrical Issues?

Francesco

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
My Comanche, last night, lost all running lights; tail lights, dash lights, front lights, and the annoying door buzzer. The fuses all checked out, and I even replaced the headlight switch. I looked everywhere, and nothing online helped. Is there anything I can check? I'm supposed to leave for a trip tomorrow afternoon, and I work in the morning. THANKS!!!

To further this, my high beams are not working, nor is the windshield wiper pump. I have tested the fuse, it is ok, the fuse box is only receiving about 1V towards the running light fuse, however the hazards are receiving a full 12V, which means that the wire is ok(those both share the same crimped terminal), which makes me think there is a grounding issue, or that the issue is before the fuse. Does the wiring schematic give power to the fuse box BEFORE the headlight switch? Where is the ground? Thank you guys

Going to clean out the main wiring harness plug and refill with dielectric grease in the morning, I'm at a loss as what it could be. With the old switch, it pulls 0.5V with the headlights on, and the new is 1.5V. Could it be a dud??

Check the dash ground. A large part of the electrical accessories ground thru it. Also cleaning out the main plug is a very good idea. When I did mine it took 2 cans of contact cleaner, various scraping tools and several hours to clean it. I have a late 89 XJ and the main plug, actually connects the wiring harness directly to the fuse box, was filled with a very stubborn black tar like substance.

Not sure about the MJ but the XJ ground is behind the drivers kick panel. I added a larger gauge wire and direct grounded some systems.

I'd check out cruiser54's info if it's renix.

Back