• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Borla pro xs

cody4359

NAXJA Forum User
ive googled youtubed, and searched without much luck. is anybody running a borla pro xs muffler? I have a flowmaster delta 50 series now and I've finally had enough of the drone and tinnie sound. of the few videos I've found people tend to set the camera under the tailpipe in the garage lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

any chance you could put up a video? where I park my jeep it's between my house and garage, and when it's idling it reverberates thru the house and I'm sure the one neighbors I like don't enjoy it, also when in 1st/2nd and going up a hill in the upper rpms it's just annoying.

I have a stock 99 that I'm fixing up and I prefer the stock sound to the flowmaster. I'm after a stock/"touring" sound now that I'm getting older

Cool thanks. with headphones in, it sounds a bit louder then what I'm after but it's hard to get the true feel of what it sounds like when your not in person. I've always wanted borla, but I've found a few videos of dynomax super turbo mufflers that sound fairly close to stock... decisions decisions

I'm in the same boat as you folks. I've always run Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers as I'm not a fan of loud vehicles- there's no excuse for a performance vehicle to be loud. It's all a matter of "small d**k syndrome".

I have a 90 that needs a muffler (the stock has a fist sized hole in it), and my son's 97 is going to before much longer. Dynomax Super Turbo is getting put into each.

I'm in the same boat as you folks. I've always run Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers as I'm not a fan of loud vehicles- there's no excuse for a performance vehicle to be loud. It's all a matter of "small d**k syndrome".

I have a 90 that needs a muffler (the stock has a fist sized hole in it), and my son's 97 is going to before much longer. Dynomax Super Turbo is getting put into each.

Whoa whoa whoa. We younger people call that "old man hatin on the kids!"

I had a drone-a-max. Turbo, ultra flow, they drone like hell. I've found tail pipe exit location also plays a big role in sound in the cab. Run it all the way back and it helps with the sound.

Yeah, well without us old f&cks, there wouldn't be any of you young bucks.

Not sure what you did wrong with your Super Turbo. So long as the exhaust is complete stem to stern, I don't get drone out of them. It only makes sense if you exit under the body you'll get resonance... but more importantly you'll also be breathing exhaust.

I got old a few years ago and put a magnaflow SS on and ran the tail pipe back to the bumper. Very quiet which helps on a 3 hour commute. My tires are louder than the exhaust. I put in the largest low profile muffler as i could fit. 2.5" then tapered down to 2.25" tail pipe as that was the only thing premade that i could get that day. I know magnaflow offers a kit with he 2.5" tail pipe.

I got old a few years ago and put a magnaflow SS on and ran the tail pipe back to the bumper. Very quiet which helps on a 3 hour commute. My tires are louder than the exhaust. I put in the largest low profile muffler as i could fit. 2.5" then tapered down to 2.25" tail pipe as that was the only thing premade that i could get that day. I know magnaflow offers a kit with he 2.5" tail pipe.

Good to know someone else did what I did.

I started with a Flow Master 50 series with 2.5" all the way back and out the tail pipe. This thing droned so bad I was afraid to drive into certain areas in Fort Lauderdale FL where there is noise pollution (so to speak) law. i.e. if the vehicle is perceived by the police as being too loud, they could do an inspection of the exhaust on the spot. If it is not an OEM unit, they could cite you for being too loud.

Mind you, the speed limit in these areas were 35 and 40 mph where the AW4 remained in 3rd gear. Not to mention the fact that my ears got tired of that real fast. The solution? Cut the last 18" off the tail pipe and replace it with the tail piece form the OEM exhaust pipe. Co-incidentally, at the low RPM's at which I drive, the 4.0L lost some low end grunt which was restored by retro fitting the OEM tail pipe which increased the back pressure and exhaust flow.

ended up being cheap and putting on a resonator. quieted it down about 5db, not as quiet as I'd like but I'm going to start sound deadning soon

What did you end up going with? Or are you saying you put off the muffler for now by going with the resonator?
After I posted a couple weeks a go, I payed more attention to the sound. I don't mind the Borla at all. Perfectly content with it at the "ripe ol age" of 47! More of a loud "hum" than annoying loud exhaust. Kinda purrs at idle.
I fabbed the downpipe myself out of mandrel bends(2.25in I believe)...then into 2.5 inch hi-flow magnaflow converter...2.5inch to Borla muffler. Haven't done my own tailpipe yet, so it is the oem. Very happy.

That sounds very much like what I'm looking to do. I'm glad to hear the favorable review from another old guy. ;)

I have the flowmaster 50 still and a 12" vibrant resonator. Going 65 mph it dropped 5 dB and at idle it's closer to 10. eventually I'm going to replace my stolen welder and but some mandurel bends to redo my exhaust but for now this works. I should be done put if in the mlv today and I'm anxiouse to see how it sounds. previously I was 79 dB at 65 mph, resonator knocked it down to 73-74. I have alot of tire noise and it's never had the oem jute felt, just carpet

" I should be done put if in the mlv today"

??

What does this mean?
How are you measuring the sound?

damn fat fingers. I did the floor in ensolite foam and topped with MLV for a sound barriar, did the same for the rear of the cab. I'm going to see what that did, then do the doors since there is no vapor barrier or insulation on them. I'm tired of wearing earplugs when I go on the hwy, so I've been using an app on my phone to see how loud it is

Still wondering what MLV is...

Back