• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift gate lifts brands?

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
I have not had good life from local brands I bought the last 6 years. Loking at Rock auto tonight, I see 5 brands to choose from, 4 have very good pricing, and the specs on one brand I never heard of looks best. Has anyone found a best brand for these that hold up for more than 2-3 years?

I've had a set of the Strong Arm's for 3 years now and they aren't showing any signs of leakage or loss of pressure. I've been happy with them. Mine are the 97+ version, but I'd imagine the internals are the same. Nice find on Rock Auto, I thought I had purchased them cheap on Amazon...

I have been meaning to get some new lifts and the strongarm seem like the way to go to me.

*edit

Check the reviews on amazon, that says a lot I think.

I finally ponied up and ordered a pair of strongarm lift supports(rockauto $13 ea.), with the cold setting in, I went to open my hatch and it just fell back down grr. Will update once I have them.

Looking forward to seeing how those strong arm lift supports work. I just bought a set of the Monroe ones off of Amazon. Something like $33 shipped, but the tube diameter is a lot fatter than the OE style ones at rock auto and ebay. Sick of getting 3 years out of the cheapo ones, so hopefully these Monroe struts will last longer.

I got around to putting my strongarms in today

First thought, Wow the hatch is heavy! I took off one strut to do one at a time and even then I had the hatch resting on my head and now my head hurts ha. The old struts looked original but I can't be 100%, they also felt very light weight compared to the strongarm. I would say the pair of old struts weigh the same as 1 strong arm easy.

Install was easy, 2 bolts and the other end pops out/in. The only problem is holding the hatch and manipulating things with the other or using your head.

Once both were in the hatch shoots up, it doesn't launch it right as you pull the handle. I have to open it a few inches then it shoots up the rest of the way on its own. It also slows down before it is fully open so it doesn't just slam open harshly. So far I think they are awesome and worth the price no question. I should have put these one years ago instead of fighting with the sagging hatch every time it gets cold and slow hatch the rest of the year.

Do any of you guys have any extra weight on your hatches? I have sound deadener on mine and normal hatch supports just can't really keep up when it gets cold...wondering if the strong arms might remedy this

I went with the Monroe from RockAuto, 2 for $33,we,ll see how long they last.But they work well in this cold weather.
But I do miss the old ones.......didn,t miss the hit in the head but now I have to reach so high to close the gate....

I am already having problems with the strong arms I just installed about 2 weeks ago on the 87. Probably only the 3rd or 4th time I used the rear hatch since the install. It is popping loose of the frame side pin-ball joint, drivers side only. I am wondering if the ball on it is too old and warn? Any idea if they still make that part or where to get it?

I did not have this problem with the other brand, and the clip design on the strong arm IS different, and is not swappable between brands.

i tried the autozone ones with the lifetime warranty on my 89. they hold the gate up fine, but you have to help it up. it wont lift by itself when you push the button and give it a little pull. you have to help it all the way up. and even when helping it, they are hard to make go fast. pulling back down they will go quicker, but i have to stop just before fully closed for a second, then give it a shove to make it latch all the way. just seem to be a stiff strut. i wonder if i can swap them without a receipt. still better than having it hit me in the head like before.
oh and i found that the 95 and newer ones where a bit too long. found a nice new set from a 95 but couldnt push the lift gate high enough to get them to clip on. not without tearing out the hinges atleast.

My strongarms are still going, well strong. They shoot the hatch open like the first day I put them in and actually take a good bit of effort to get closed just like that first day. No problems with mine coming loose and I use it really often.

what year jeep? seems the ones for the newer jeeps are made better and stronger. even the circumference is larger than the early ones.

The Strongarms are still working on the 89 Cherokee, but one of the Strongarms on the 87 jeep bent the ball studs, and kept popping off. So I replaced the ball studs on that side, and the strong arm is still popping off.

I called Rock Auto to replace it under warranty. I suspect this one is overcharged, too hard to close the tailgate, it binds up and pops off.

I will update when the new one arrives.

I do not like the clips on the Strongarms! I just discovered that the ends, are threaded, the clip assy, and can be swapped out!!! Don't know if the different brands use the same thread???? Wishing I had kept the old ones to swap ends maybe?

Dredging up an old thread to see if there might be any updated information about best/longest lasting brand. My last set of Monroes from Rock Auto died within 6 months (no warranty)! :mad:

Strong arms are the best I have found. I'm getting 3-5 years out of a pair. I only changed one of 2 out last year on 2 jeeps and that was good enough for now.
I got a great delivered price at Amazon prime

The ones I bought from Napa, about 3 years ago, are doing fine. Even with the cold snap that we are having here in New England at the moment. There is one thing I read a long time ago that I do. Let the hatch open all the way by itself. Do not push up on it. Let the lift gate supports do their job. Is this true? Anybodies guess.

Back