• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Panel clips for rear hatch 96

my65289stang

NAXJA Forum User
I have been looking for the clips that hold the "door" panel on the rear interior hatch of my 96 XJ. Every one of them was trashed by the time I got them out and I have not been able to match anything up at the parts stores. Anyone have a P/N for one that fits?

Thanks for your help

I got a bunch from the junkyard then threw them all out after the plastic panel kept breaking.

For your 96 the parts catalog says 6502078 "CLIP-RETAINER, Trim Panel to Liftgate ***" 7-digit part number so it goes way back, should be some around. OMIX-ADA seems to make them too (never buy anything from OMIX-ADA but its hard to see how they could mess this up).

Might try looking for matches here -- http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Door_Trim_Panel_Clips_Retainers_s/268.htm

Many moons ago, I fixed the rattling hatch panel on my old '88 using those plastic drywall anchors. Pop them in the hatch itself and run the screws through the panel.

Got the idea from a member on here.

NAPA/Balkamp 665-3282 is what I needed for my heep. Worst case, pull one and take it to your nearest NAPA. They have a surprising selection, even in my little podunk hometown store.

Pretty much any parts store should have these in the "Help" section.

Having just looked for this information, I thought I'd post it here in case I'm not the last. The Chrysler part numbers are "CLIP, PIN. Molding, Push. M6.3x19.84.
Part Number: 06504995AA ; 34201545" But the XJ started as an AMC-Renault venture, and that part number is 7703-077-066. I think what you need is a roughly a 1/2" head, 3/4" length, and able to fit a 7/32 hole. To avoid the killer dealer prices, and willing to accept black instead of white, I found this: https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/searchresults.asp?Search=amc-renault+12993

Back