• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift question....parts needed?

DarkKnight369

NAXJA Forum User
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/mercha...uct_Code=RK-300SP-XJ&Category_Code=sus_xj_kit

New to the XJ format, thinking about buying the above for my wife's. Her suspension is completely shot (inverted leaf packs, etc). She has around 130K miles and I am not sure if she has ever replaced anything on the suspension. Its a 2001 and we have only been married for 2.5 years. Is there anything else I need than what is included in that kit? Bushings, or anything that would be a good idea to replace while I am tearing her suspension apart?

I would appreciate the help. Thanks!

Rustys makes good stuff... but it does not come with some things you need/want

it includes the following:

• Front 3" coil springs
• Rear 3" Leaf Springs
• Front hydro preformance shocks
• Rear hydro prformance shocks
• Rear brake line extension kit
• Grade 8 U-Bolts

you will want to add lower control arms and maybe a adjustable track bar

Do I need new lower control arms?

What is the adjustable track bar, and is it 100% necessary?

I appreciate the info. Just trying to go as cheap as possible with this lift.

When I did my 3" lift my LCA's were fine but my track bar that needed replacement quickly reared it's ugly head. You truly won't know (IMO) until you get the lift and and see how it reacts. Since you have a HP D30 in your 01' you also may need a SYE for your transfer case. Once again, won't know until you do the lift.

Since you have a HP D30 in your 01' you also may need a SYE for your transfer case.
Having a HP D30 has nothing to do with the output shaft on your xfercase. What he is trying to say if you may have vibrations at that height and year from your transfer cases rear output shaft. You can fix this by ethier a slip yoke eliminator SYE or a transfer case drop, since your only going 3 inch.

lol, I'm an idiot. Yes, I meant because of the YEAR of the Jeep that they are more prone to rear driveshaft vibrations. Didn't have my coffee yet at that time :)

When I went to a 4.5" lift I had to do a t-case drop, worked perfectly until I installed a t-case with the SYE already installed.

Anyone shim the rear axle to cure the vibrations? I did this on my Xterra, but the leaf packs are mounted under the axle and not on top. I imagine it would work the same way if the shims were reversed.

Where is a good place to get everything I would need for a new track bar...any bushings, etc? I rather replace it all now then encounter it later.

What would the issues be with the lower control arms? Too short, or shot?

Also, maybe a dumb question...are the majority of the bolts standard or metric? I know I just replaced the transmission pan seal on the XJ and it was all metric. If most of these bolts are standard I probably need to look into getting a better deep drive selection of sockets as most of my stuff is metric.

When I did my 3" lift my LCA's were fine but my track bar that needed replacement quickly reared it's ugly head. You truly won't know (IMO) until you get the lift and and see how it reacts. Since you have a HP D30 in your 01' you also may need a SYE for your transfer case. Once again, won't know until you do the lift.

Ive got an 01 and i dont have a Hp d30

got chryco 8.25 in rear and LP d30 in front

Dont think it fits into the cheap category , but check out the Dpg offroad hybrid kits. they have great service and have added good quality parts thare are missing from most "complete kits".

Adjustable track bar is a Must have it allows for adjustment to recenter axle on the jeep after lift.

Excuse my ignorance, but what does HP and LP d30 stand for? I am assuming the d30 is dana 30?

According the Rusty's website and the pic I took, it looks like I have a D35c in the rear.

9197d0d2.jpg

HP/LP is high pinion and low pinion.. on a low pinion the driveshaft goes into lower area of axle pumpkin causing more extreme driveline angles and poor dshaft learance..
on the hp it goes in at the upper portion less diveline agle and because its reverse cut it stronger (or so i read)..

And if you dont have abs its a chryco 8.25 they are also flat on bottom flange of pumpkin
Good thread about axles http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101249

Last edited:
Really you should read all the faqs in the forums.. i did that and searched anything i could ever want to know about cherokkes by typing naxja and my ? into google.. the thing at the bottom of a the thread that shows similar topics helps alot too.. i actually saved where i was at in my favorites and spent Free time skimming through the last couple hundred of pages of threads in adventure and modified tech forums. and reading anything that interested me .. all the time taking notes.. that took a few months but i have basically my whole rig built on paper. and now that i know ive done the searching first im more comfortable asking questions , knowing i tried to find out on my own already.
This site is an valuable source of info and most questions have been asked and reasked many times so searching is your friend

BTW thats an 8.25 in the pic

I appreciate the info. I tried searching previously and skimming through some threads, I just don't know what to search on for some of the info. I also need to order everything and get this installed quick as I am in a hurry to do this. So I don't have a ton of time to read a whole bunch of threads on here.

The main issue at hand is I don't think my wife's XJ is safe with the suspension in current condition. I thought about just replacing it with stock parts, but I thought I might as well lift a little. I would only go 1-2", but 3" was the shortest/cheapest lift option I could find with a full leaf pack replacement. I am not really looking to do much else to this thing or go off road with it. I have my Xterra for that. I am 6'8" and its bad enough the interior is tiny, but I would love not to have to crawl down into the thing the rare times I drive/ride in it.

Any other complete lift package ideas would be welcome. Also, I am a little confused if I 100% need the adjustable track bar, lower control arms, and/or anything else. I would hate to tear this apart than have it sitting on jackstands for a week while I wait for more parts to come in.

ok so At 3" you can lift and see how it rides but id just put an adj. trackbar on and you know its good..

also at 3" you can lift and see if you have driveline vibes . if you do do a tcase drop (band aid) or S.Y.E. (The Cure) to improve driveline angles .. every jeep seems to reacts differently and you cant really tell if youll have these probs untill you lift ..

I have an 01 and the newer ones like that are more prone to driveline vibes after lift but im at 4" and have no vibes so i did neither and have been driving for a year or so.. I am however getting a sye just to improve the driveline angle to reduce driveline stress.

I read this on another thread
A 2" budget boost will probably move your axle not more than about 1/4 of an inch. You could get an adjustable if you're a perfectionist, but not necessary. Wait until your track bar needs replacing, then get an adjustable. Just be careful when buying, because some of the adjustables won't adjust short enough for stock height, and a budget boost is so close to stock that they may not be short enough for that.

I thought about just replacing it with stock parts, but I thought I might as well lift a little. I would only go 1-2", but 3" was the shortest/cheapest lift option I could find with a full leaf pack replacement. I am not really looking to do much else to this thing or go off road with it. I have my Xterra for that. I am 6'8" and its bad enough the interior is tiny, but I would love not to have to crawl down into the thing the rare times I drive/ride in it.

Any other complete lift package ideas would be welcome. Also, I am a little confused if I 100% need the adjustable track bar, lower control arms, and/or anything else.

awesome, i dont replace anything with stock, if theres an upgraded option.

when you run a 3" lift kit, or a re 3.5" kit (which is actually more like 4.5" if you dont run a heavy winch/bumpers) your tracbar is slliiiiightly too short, and pulls your axle to the drivers side. i ran my 3.5 for ever, without noticing anything visually, drove fine for a year or so.... HOWEVER the increased angles tend to kill stock trackbars. you'll start to hear clunking, and can see the tre moving if someone sits in the jeep with it running and turns the wheel lock to lock repeatedly. when this happens, put an aftermarket DOUBLE SHEER bracket'd trackbar on for the ammount of lift your running, and your good.

i would look into rough country.

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_3x.html

That kit seems reasonable with the full leaf pack. Provides the control arms, so that is good.

I see 2 trac bar options...

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xtras_1079.html

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xtras_trac-bar.html

Not sure if one is better than the other. They both say 4"-6" lift though.

Anyone know if there is a 1-2" lift with a full leaf pack replacement? This is potentially jumping from $500 - $900 + if I potentially have to get a SYE and adjustable track bar.

oh yes, but if they have full leaf packs, theyre still gonna be expensive. leaf packs cost the most.

people swear by the ome stuff for low altitude stuff.
http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=645

looking around, i see the original baby size kit i bought years ago is still $350 for the rc 3" http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1865

also, remember. the lift mfg's often have higher prices than their retailers, let em build stuff, leave the retail to the retailers and save some coin.

Now mind you i'm a noob but i have a 89 with dana 30 in the front and a dana 35 in the rear, but i have a homebrew 3" lift.

My trac bar is stock well everything is stock its been like this for years and i have no prob's. Handles nice no vibs (from what i hear with you having a new rig they tend to have more vibs), dont go threw u-joints but i keep my rig lubed up cause i love to play in the mud.

I have stock control arms but i think that when you lift with stock parts like that it pulls the front axle back a little, maybe I'm just OCD but my rig looks like the front tires are not centered in the wheel well. But I have 31x10.5x15's and the only time i get tire rub is when i'm flexin and turning hard. And no trimming of fenders and have stock falers

And if I'm not wrong thats the chrysler 8.25 rear axle you can tell by the rubber filler plug

Idk but hope some of this helps you out, let us know how it works out for you. P.S. befor you start spray everything with PB blaster

My trac bar is stock well everything is stock its been like this for years and i have no prob's.

I have stock control arms but i think that when you lift with stock parts like that it pulls the front axle back a little, maybe I'm just OCD but my rig looks like the front tires are not centered in the wheel well.

And if I'm not wrong thats the chrysler 8.25 rear axle you can tell by the rubber filler plug

you can relocate it... he makes it a little complicated... just unbolt from the axle mount and rock the body back and forth several times, then measure and drill... also it is a good idea to fill in the old hole with a welder

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTrackbar.htm

as for the stock control arms... you should consider shimming them...

and the rubber plug is not always proof of a 8.25

Back