• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First post, should I buy it and related problems?

GrFa

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. I've been away from the XJ crowd for many years (previously my parents had a 96 Country that I used back in HS). First off I'd like to say that I don't want to waste anyones time with another should I buy it thread, its just that I walked away and told the owner it was too much work for me when I looked at it today.Now I'm reconsidering. I need the groups opinion. The truck is in the northeast.

Its a 96 Sport 4dr with 142k miles, seller is asking $1800. Its an automatic, with all power, privacy glass, trailer hitch, no cruise control, black with grey cloth. Current owner bought it from his brother in law who bought it with 53k miles in 02. Current owner put 10k miles on it in the last two years he has had it. Has BFG ATs with maybe 25% tread left.

Rust- it has the beginnings in all the usual places. Floors seem solid but the undercoating is starting to come off and surface rust where its missing. One rocker is solid the other has a large bubble. On two of the roof corners there are small bubbles starting. Doors are solid.

Mechanical-in the time the current owner has had it he has replaced the radiator (although the coolant was dark already, didnt look like oil in it), and has done oil changes every 3k (seemed like it just had a fresh one/oil was clean). He has not changed any of the other fluids since he has had it.

Brakes are catchy, push down a ways and then they grip all of a sudden with little feeling. I guess they could just need a flush or more. I do not believe it has abs.

Engine seemed to start up and run well, no smoke or strange noises.Transmission seemed to shift well, nothing funny that I could tell.

4x4- it engaged into 4hi and 4lo. However in four wheel there was a distinct knocking coming from the front diff. Went away when it was shifted back into 2hi. This probably concerned me most of everything (I plan to use it in the snow and offroad). The owner said he probably hasn't used 4x4 since last winter and only used it a few times in the time hes had it.

Exhaust was starting to rust out/get noisy. I did see that one clamp was just hanging on a pipe (might be able to just tighten it up to fix it temporarily).

Interior-very clean except for a torn up leather steering wheel. All power door locks were sticky (probably just need to be cleaned/lubed read up about it on the forum). Radio just stopped working, no reception.

Overall it was in decent shape no real body damage. The things that concern me most is the knocking in 4x4, touchy brakes, and beginnings of rot. Then there are all the little issues on top of it.

So what do you guys think based on that, worth buying, offer less, walk away? THANKS!

GrFa said:
Overall it was in decent shape no real body damage. The things that concern me most is the knocking in 4x4, touchy brakes, and beginnings of rot. Then there are all the little issues on top of it.

So what do you guys think based on that, worth buying, offer less, walk away? THANKS!

I think its a deal, I was going to buy a lifted 95 last year for $1000 and it had been rolled...

are you sure the knocking was coming from the diff? It could just be a bad u-joint in an axleshaft. Regardless, I think its worth the $, esp if you plan on modifying it at all.

The brakes sounds like air, possibly in the MC. The rot is rot, whachyagonnado? Cut out the rockers, replace with sliders, bleed brakes and bench bleed MC, put ZJ rear discs on at the time, find some 29 spline shafts for your rear, change gear oil in your pumpkins and check all driveline u-joints (axleshafts included). A weekend's work (two if you count the sliders) and you'd have a reliable trail killing machine/DD.

As for rot, I've seen heat do more than rust. The only XJ I've seen with a big hole in the floor was a '96 that had a hole over the cat. I just recently saw an '89 get wrecked and saw where the cancer had eaten it. It wasn't pretty but I was surprised when seeing a cross section how many spots were just surface rust.

Even if the knocking in front is terminal gear death, a junkyard frontend is cheap.

Offer less, what's the worst that happens? The price is fair tho, IHMO.

I'd say go for it, but try and talk him down a bit. Try to convince him that the rockers/exaust rusting out are a problem, and the 4wd knock could cost you some bucks.

I'd offer him 1,500 to 1,600.

Thanks for the opinions so far guys. The only reason I didn't try to talk him down to begin with is that he already felt like he priced it really really low (that was the first thing he said when I pulled up). He didn't mention that anyone else had come to see it/was coming to see it. Maybe I'll shoot him an offer in a few days.

I dunno... maybe XJs are cheaper here on the west coast, but I picked up my '92 for $2200, and other than one dent on the driver's door and a leaking power steering hose, it was in showroom condition. One could easily get a mechanically sound '96 over here for a couple grand.

I'd keep shopping - XJs are everywhere.

TheAlmightySam said:
I dunno... maybe XJs are cheaper here on the west coast, but I picked up my '92 for $2200, and other than one dent on the driver's door and a leaking power steering hose, it was in showroom condition. One could easily get a mechanically sound '96 over here for a couple grand.

I'd keep shopping - XJs are everywhere.

Could you ship me a rust free one here I'll send yah my account information lol
:looney:

TheAlmightySam said:
One could easily get a mechanically sound '96 over here for a couple grand.

Or a mechanically sound '96 for $1800...

No one's saying that its the steal of the century.

Blue book on it is $2600 roughly for the shape its in. If you want one to build, offer him low and buy it anyways, if you want one to keep stock, keep searching and pay a little more for one that' s super clean.

Fior the catchy brakes, probably bad rear adjusters. Might need new brakes, but might just need the adjusters freed up or the cables replaced.

for the 4WD noise, probably bad axle shaft universals. Get under and wiggle them.

Rusty rocker panels could be a problem, but if it's just a bubble you might be able to catch it - fix hole, flush, get some stuff inside, and it might last a while. Similarly, you can buy some time with the floors if it's just peeling undercoat on the bottom, but look very very carefully and don't be afraid to probe a little. Check extra hard above the exhaust system. Roof rust can be really nasty. Make sure it's just surface rust, and take care of it as soon as possible.

Sounds like a fairly reasonable deal, but I'd try to talk him down on the rust and the brakes, and you can get a reasonable estimate of the cost of doing the axles. Of course, with a vehicle of that age, mileage and price, you can't pretend that it ought to be 100 percent, so you can't reasonably expect the owner to knock off the cost of a dealer doing all the work, or he'd have to pay you to take it. You need to stop and think what it's worth to you, as well as figuring out how much of the work you can do yourself.

You always try to talk them down. Most people selling a used vehicle price them a little higher than what they want so they have some negotiating room.

I decided to pass on this one and continue my search. Thanks for the advice. I really just need a daily winter driver, that could tow a trailer in the summer, and maybe do some light off road exploring not much else.

Back