• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

instrument cluster fuse

xjfrancis

NAXJA Forum User
the fuse for my instrument cluster keeps blowing out. I have tried putting in larger fuses but they blow too. does anyone know where the short may be comming from? I had the car in at the dealership on unrelated topics and they said it would cost 200 or more to have them fix it, so that is out of the question.

I had a similar problem @ 2 yr ago.Inst fuse would blow when I turned the parking or head lights on.
The "gremli"was the "chime module".It cost me $130.00to find out all I had to do was pull the damn thing out.It has been out ever since.
Not sure if you have one,since you have not mentioned year.
Mine is an 89'...Chime module is located in the lower left corner of the fuse panel.The release tab is just to the left up against the kick pad.
Removing the module will not affect anything other than the "buzzing sound"when the key in but the vehic hasn't been started yet.Pull the module out,put a new fuse in,pull on your lights,if the fuse doesn't pop,you should be good to go.
As a side note,if the inst lights aren't working,you can bet that neither are the tail lights.
Brake lights will work
Turn signals will work
Hazards will work
If you still pop fuses there is a possibility the headlight switch is the culprit.
But do the chime module thing first.
For those that see this you can get a replacement module and it is a dealer only item
But WE ALL KNOW BOUT THEM THERE DEALER ITEMS DON'T WE

my xj is a 96', if anyone has any idea where the chime module is for that year of production that would be greatly appreciated. on a side not i am pretty sure my tail lights are working, at leat i hope they are

Possible guess here. My 97 had a similar prob early this winter, when it first got cold. Kept blowing the damn dash light fuse. After two replacements, it finally stopped. Over the past year or so, one of my little lights (left side of the fuel gauge - diff on a 96, I think) did not work. However, I've noticed that on particularly cold days (NW Wisc) such as at or below +10*, that light comes back on, and stays on as long as it's running. If I start up later in the day - when the Jeep and air outside/inside is warmer - the light fails to come on. HMMM- I'm taking an un-edumacated guess that there is a small amount of condensation inside the dash panel, and when it freezes, it completes the contact. But when warm, it evaporates. Hence no light. Could this be happening on yours? I'd be interested to hear the guesses from the educated jeepsters.

xjfrancis said:
my xj is a 96', if anyone has any idea where the chime module is for that year of production that would be greatly appreciated. on a side not i am pretty sure my tail lights are working, at leat i hope they are

If you got a Haynes Manual,it should be some where in the electrical section.
Should be either in the fuse panel or close to it.
Mine was bout:
2-3 in long
1 in deep
2 in wide

i've been boggled with this problem for the last 3 weeks. It's the headlight switch. Keep pushing it in back and forth a couple times. In between one of the positions you'll find out that the gauge lights will work. Along with the rear drive lights, buzzer, and the tranny selector lights. Switch needs to be replaced.

i've been boggled with this problem for the last 3 weeks. It's the headlight switch. Keep pushing it in back and forth a couple times. In between one of the positions you'll find out that the gauge lights will work. Along with the rear drive lights, buzzer, and the tranny selector lights. Switch needs to be replaced.

That's what I'd go with. best guess, seen the same thing numerous times, usually in the dimmer mechanism in the headlight switch. It can also melt down the headlight switch connector.

The wire for the instrument cluster lights goes from the parking light fuse, up to the headlight/dimmer, back down to the instrument light fuse and back up to the instrument cluster. I had one, rub through, which cut the harness on a sheet metal seem. I bypassed the dimmer circuit and ran a wire directly up to the cluster from the instrument fuse, always bright instrument lights, but much easier than trying to deal with that harness. That harness is really stuffed in there tight, the possibility to do more damage than good, is what convinced me to bypass the whole thing.

Don't forget the clock, it can also short out the dimmer circuit. Easy to pinch a wire in there and cause a short or the clock itself can short out. Have you been in the sound system lately or the HVAC controls, easy to pinch that clock wire.

The real bummer is the replacement switches tend to fail fast, even OEM, the quality has gone way down.

One thing to check is that the headlight knob is seated all the way in, it runs through a stack of contact discs and you can get the knob rod part way in and it will work after a fashion. I always push the release button, push the knob all the way in and moderately smack it with the palm of my hand. If you hit it too hard and the discs aren't lined up, it may damage it. Twisting it a little left and right, while pushing with the release button pressed may be a better option than my smack and pray technique.:gee:

That's what I'd go with. best guess, seen the same thing numerous times, usually in the dimmer mechanism in the headlight switch. It can also melt down the headlight switch connector.

The wire for the instrument cluster lights goes from the parking light fuse, up to the headlight/dimmer, back down to the instrument light fuse and back up to the instrument cluster. I had one, rub through, which cut the harness on a sheet metal seem. I bypassed the dimmer circuit and ran a wire directly up to the cluster from the instrument fuse, always bright instrument lights, but much easier than trying to deal with that harness. That harness is really stuffed in there tight, the possibility to do more damage than good, is what convinced me to bypass the whole thing.

Don't forget the clock, it can also short out the dimmer circuit. Easy to pinch a wire in there and cause a short or the clock itself can short out. Have you been in the sound system lately or the HVAC controls, easy to pinch that clock wire.

The real bummer is the replacement switches tend to fail fast, even OEM, the quality has gone way down.

One thing to check is that the headlight knob is seated all the way in, it runs through a stack of contact discs and you can get the knob rod part way in and it will work after a fashion. I always push the release button, push the knob all the way in and moderately smack it with the palm of my hand. If you hit it too hard and the discs aren't lined up, it may damage it. Twisting it a little left and right, while pushing with the release button pressed may be a better option than my smack and pray technique.:gee:

o you have any specifics or pics that you can share. I'm in the same boat. 2nd headlight switch. Still no joy. I've unplugged all the rear lights, instrument panel, heater control lights, radio, defroster panel and still blow the 5A fuse when I have the dimmer on. I just want to bypass it now. This XJ is supposed to be my daughters first car, I think her having instrument lights at night my be important. Any help is appreciated.

Sorry for the thread hijack. But, searched, googled and tried almost everything to get it to work.

o you have any specifics or pics that you can share. I'm in the same boat. 2nd headlight switch. Still no joy. I've unplugged all the rear lights, instrument panel, heater control lights, radio, defroster panel and still blow the 5A fuse when I have the dimmer on. I just want to bypass it now. This XJ is supposed to be my daughters first car, I think her having instrument lights at night my be important. Any help is appreciated.

Sorry for the thread hijack. But, searched, googled and tried almost everything to get it to work.

Here is where it gets crazy. A faulty oil gauge can cause the instrument lighting to ground out through the the oil pressure sensor, ignition interlock solenoid, and the brake light switch. Of course, the interlock solenoid can cause the same issue. I have an entire 1996 XJ dash harness split open to track that issue down.

Here is where it gets crazy. A faulty oil gauge can cause the instrument lighting to ground out through the the oil pressure sensor, ignition interlock solenoid, and the brake light switch. Of course, the interlock solenoid can cause the same issue. I have an entire 1996 XJ dash harness split open to track that issue down.

Hmm... That's weird, but I've tested it with the cluster unplugged (no oil gauge) and it still blew fuses. I've spent too many hours trying to pin this issues down. I'm pretty sure I'll need to replace the ABS clock spring since the turn signals won't self cancel. No ABS light though. I'm pretty sure it unrelated though... I hope.

It's crazy soo many XJ with this issue but no clear diffinitive answer or such of the problem. Most of the threads I've found went un solve or were fixed by just replacing the fuse (that's too easy, I wish I were that lucky).

Hmm... That's weird, but I've tested it with the cluster unplugged (no oil gauge) and it still blew fuses. I've spent too many hours trying to pin this issues down. I'm pretty sure I'll need to replace the ABS clock spring since the turn signals won't self cancel. No ABS light though. I'm pretty sure it unrelated though... I hope.

It's crazy soo many XJ with this issue but no clear diffinitive answer or such of the problem. Most of the threads I've found went un solve or were fixed by just replacing the fuse (that's too easy, I wish I were that lucky).

That rules out the oil gauge and sensor at least. :D

Need help, related... Gages interior lights and radio all stopped working at once, I am thinking the circuit popped or tripped or whatever they do but don't know where the circuit for these is. Anyone help?

Need help, related... Gages interior lights and radio all stopped working at once, I am thinking the circuit popped or tripped or whatever they do but don't know where the circuit for these is. Anyone help?

Mandarsh,

Your '98 has a "IOD" (Ignition Off Draw) 15 Amp fuse in the PDC that powers these things. If you remove the cover from the PDC and look inside you'll see a mini fuse position marked IOD. Check it.

Ah thank you, I see it's also for the under hood light. I made the assumption that the fuse would be inside in the passenger side kick panel area. But yes it was in the under hood fuse box

Ah thank you, I see it's also for the under hood light. I made the assumption that the fuse would be inside in the passenger side kick panel area. But yes it was in the under hood fuse box

Nice, I only wish my issue were so simple. I'm really thinking that bypassing the HL switch is my only hope. Not fun times.

Have you checked the ignition switch and wires?

Have you checked the ignition switch and wires?

Ignition switch? I don't think that's on the same circuit. But it seems to be fine. The car starts and runs. I don't think there is a short there. I think its before the HL switch where the short is . I think I'm just going to bypass the dimmer and run the cluster full bright. That's way better than nothing. I'm just looking for some more detailed help on how to get that done.

Yours may be wired different. Year?

The older ones, AMC-Chrysler was bad about using undersized wire for the long haul, and the overload was at the fuse box, ignition switch, HL switch, AC-Blower switch, and the AC-blower speed resistor pack, and they all overheated, and overloaded each other, making for poor contacts, melted and smoked plastic insulation, burned out switches, wires, contacts, and fuse holders. The headlight switches have always been a problem. Most people install a wire-relay package under the hood, taking power to the head lights directly with a relay package and use the HL switch for the signal to the new relay package under the hood. The package, prewired is about $38 from Amazon. It takes the heavy load off the HL switch and wires.....Could you have a bad ground, and high current back feeding somewhere that takes out the fuse? I have heard of some weird ground problems doing crazy, insane stuff! Just suggesting you look outside the box, it is after all, a JEEP!!!:laugh3:

Last edited:
Back