• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

solve my 33 clearance problems

jkkj

NAXJA Forum User
I am currently running 31 on 15X7 with 4 1/2 BS on a 3in skyjacker lift. I am looking at stepping up to 33X10.50s. I plan on bumpstopping it, and adding 2inches to the lift. So the only place I am concerned about it rubbing is on the back outside of the front tires when I am turning. Should I:

Use adjustable control arms to move the entire from axle frontwards.(I have a homemade front bumper so there will be no rubbing issues up there.)

Or

Make my own drop brackets with braces and move both control arms down 4 inches and frontwards 1 inch.

Or

Just cut the stinking fenders.

I really don't want to cut the fenders. So, I guess what I'm asking is there any drawbacks to moving the axle forward about 1 to 1 1/2 inches.

Give me some ideals!

well adding 2 inches and going up to 5 inches of lift you are going to run into problems with your driveline. you will need to get a SYE and CV driveline if you ever want to go offroad with it. as for trimming in the rear i would just make some relief cuts and fold the fender like most people do. on the front just cut as much as you want. i cut about 1.5in-2in off and remounted my stock flare up higher and i have plenty of clearence now.

i agree with fluidmotion about everything but the sye. im running the same set up with 33's and no sye. i have a trans case drop and new universals and i crawl with it all the time. granted im getting one very soon but to if u ever want to go you have to get one is wrong.

fluidmotion said:
you will need to get a SYE and CV driveline if you ever want to go offroad with it.

good advice but NOT always needed.. i am at 5.5" and with no shims, no t/case drop, and no rear shaft vibes.... might be the extended shackle tipped the pinion "just right" and i got lucky.. stock rear shaft and a YJ slip-yoke (because the stock slip-yoke was binding and would not turn) i wheel the snot out of my rig and hae not had any issues with the current setup since i installed it in april.. and i normally run it on the highway for short distances over 65 and it works fine.. an SYE certainly is a good upgrade, but somehow alot of us with older XJs get away without it.. conversely my friend with a 95XJ with 1/2" less lift than i have normally drops his rear shaft right out of the slip-yoke if he hangs a rear wheel..... aint XJs great?? they are all different... the same guy also runs 33x10.50 BFGs and has not needed to cut his outer fenders, just trimming in the well and ahead of the wheel....

i am running 33x12.50 on 15x8 with 4" BS on just under 6" lift. all you need to do is move the back of the front flair about 2 inches back. that worked fine for me.

Its a 98 so the SYE is in the budget.

I'm planning on folding up the rear quarters and building a rear bumper that protects around to the back tire. I don't know why I am having such a hard time commiting to cutting the front fenders. Something about having to take the inner fender out and use a pool noodle bothers me.

Maybe I should just concentrate on fabbing up a new inner fender.

Back