• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Cooler Install- Write-up w/ pics...

BajaXJ92

NAXJA Forum User
Well I finally got around to installing it.

I got it for $40 at Advanced Auto with all hardware included.

Tcooler.JPG

First off, I found the cool line, running out of the radiator and back to the tranny and cut it in half. I found this to be the easiest part of the line to tap into for the cooler install.

Tcooler1.JPG

Next, I set the cooler on the radiator (leave unattached to radiator to be able to get hoses on later) and attached the first hose and ran it down between the radiator.

Tcooler2.JPG

Tcooler3.JPG

Once the hose was fed down under to one of the lines, I attached it and used 2 hose clamps just to be safe, to keep it on the line and from leaking. (Remember to cut off excess hose as you will later need it to run the other line.)

Tcooler5.JPG

Tcooler6.JPG

I then used the rest of the hose and clamped it onto the other side of the cut line. It was then run back up to the other side of the cooler.

Tcooler9.JPG

Tcooler8.JPG

Attach other side of hose to cooler and well, you're almost there! Don't forget to secure the cooler to the radiator!

Tcooler10.JPG

Tcooler4.JPG

Be sure to take Jeep for a test drive up to transmission operating temperature to assure there are no leaks. Replace grill and thats that. Theres your basic loop system cooler.

Now wheres my beer...... :dunno:

Good writeup!

:cheers:

Good writeup, but watch out for the zipties you're putting through the radiator. I had those in my CJ5, and found out the hard way that they will rub through the radiator...causing leaks. T'aint a good thing...

Yucca-Man said:
Good writeup, but watch out for the zipties you're putting through the radiator. I had those in my CJ5, and found out the hard way that they will rub through the radiator...causing leaks. T'aint a good thing...

I fail to see how they will create a hole in the radiator..... :dunno:

Installing a cooler is "gravy work".More important is to use a quality cooler,"tube and fin" coolers are the "least" effective and the "most" restrictive!

RCP Phx said:
Installing a cooler is "gravy work".More important is to use a quality cooler,"tube and fin" coolers are the "least" effective and the "most" restrictive!

What would be less restrictive? Plate-style with cross-flow pattern?
BLUTO :confused:

The Ford tranny coolers look the best of the bar and plate coolers I've seen. I scored a Exploder tranny cooler for free. Its as tall as my AC condenser and about 13" wide. The F-series coolers are bigger, but I think they'd be bigger than the space in front of our radiators.

--Matt

I got mine from a 96 full size Dodge. Kind of a pain to get in but it works good. JIM.

So you're saying that my cooler is more restrictive that not having a cooler at all? Mind explaining a little?

No,just that there are WAY better coolers out there that will cool better and flow better!

BajaCherokee92 said:
I fail to see how they will create a hole in the radiator..... :dunno:
The edges of the zipties rest on the radiator tubes, and after enough miles of vibration they started sawing through the radiator ever-so-slightly...just keep an eye on it is all I'm saying

Yucca-Man said:
The edges of the zipties rest on the radiator tubes, and after enough miles of vibration they started sawing through the radiator ever-so-slightly...just keep an eye on it is all I'm saying

Thanks for the heads up. :greensmok

I'll be doing this tomorrow... the electric auto-tranny cooling fan is shot. After I install the after market cooler will I need to replace that fan? That fan did not help to cool the engine, because it has remained at normal temp without it. Also, does it really matter what side of the radiator I mount the cooler to? Thanks. 97'XJ

ODXJ97 said:
I'll be doing this tomorrow... the electric auto-tranny cooling fan is shot. After I install the after market cooler will I need to replace that fan? That fan did not help to cool the engine, because it has remained at normal temp without it. Also, does it really matter what side of the radiator I mount the cooler to? Thanks. 97'XJ
This is an ancient thread, but anyways......... The electric fan is used for extra cooling and also it comes on whenever your a/c compressor kicks in (cooling or defrost settings). If you have and use the a/c or defrost settings you need that fan to work in order for the system to work properly.

Kyung

Did you bypass the tranny cooler in the radiator, or just add this in-line with the rest of the system? I got me a Grand Cherokee transmission cooler today and am thinking of putting it in soon.

Back