• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box dying?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, I have been chasing this noise in the front left corner of the jeep for about 2 weeks now. I have checked my ujoints and they look good, I have checked my bearings (did the shake/rattle/roll after removing the disc) and it feels firm/unmoving. I have replaced my tierod (on suspicion of bad tie rod ends), I have tightened my trackbar (the nut on the re trackbar was a bit loose) and checked my control arm nuts (adjustable uppers) and overall checked everything for looseness. All checks out fine yet still when I am driving, it seems that when I turn left, and especially when I turn left and hit a bump I hear noise (varying from clunk to grinding).

Anyways, I put the front axle up and turned the steering wheel with the wheels of the ground and there is a clunk from within the steering box (also I can feel it on the shaft where pitman arm connects) when turning. Does this mean that the steering box is on it's last legs? I looked at the fsm and it's got this long adjustment procedure listed which says to first pull the box out of the vehicle, then stick it into the vise and then proceed with adjustements. Is it worth doing? If I'm pulling, should I look into replacing some bearings as well? If so is it worth buying bearings or should I rather put in a remanufactured box? If bearings are not too much, where can I get them??

I'd keep checking. :eyes: Look at your shocks, When mine were worn or the bushings wear out they can make strange clunking sounds. Also I would do a good inspection around the SB. Make sure bolts are tight and look for cracks.

Get a buddy to help you, heck even some kid can do it. Have them turn the wheel an figure out where the noise is coming from. I found that my TB, even thoguh tight can still make noise.

I don't like strang noises either, but that what happens when you lift your XJ. I inspect, but a busshing may just be worn out in a way that you can't see by visual inspection. If it isn't that loud or often, I'd say just ignore it.

ChuckD said:
I'd keep checking. :eyes: Look at your shocks, When mine were worn or the bushings wear out they can make strange clunking sounds. Also I would do a good inspection around the SB. Make sure bolts are tight and look for cracks.

Get a buddy to help you, heck even some kid can do it. Have them turn the wheel an figure out where the noise is coming from. I found that my TB, even thoguh tight can still make noise.

I don't like strang noises either, but that what happens when you lift your XJ. I inspect, but a busshing may just be worn out in a way that you can't see by visual inspection. If it isn't that loud or often, I'd say just ignore it.

I forgot to mention that I also had the shocks out, checked the bushings on both ends (they are poly bushings and they are in really good condition). Also I didn't look for cratch in the frame where the SB is, but I have had the crok inner and outer plates for about 40K miles now and before I put them in frame looked great. I also have chekced the torque spec of the steering box to the frame and that's also within spec.

The noise is definately coming out of the steering box: I had someone turn the wheel while I both listed and held the box with my hand at different locations to get the "feel" for the clunk.

I know what you mean about noises being a price for lifting, but I really don't like noises which have not existed after lifting, but show up after a wheeling trip (that's when I started hearing this noise). During that trip I got the front tires wedged and I had to do some hard turning while barely moving (I was working against two rocks on each side of the tires) which could possibly have something to do with in.

I chased the same noise for 2 months. I replaced/tightened tie rod ends, steering rod, and all the bolts. It turned out to be my heim joint. It is the joint at the end of the track bar on the body side. You can test it by pulling out the bolt that goes through the heim and track bar bracket. Once the bolt is out, slide a long long screwdriver through it and move it. You should hear the creaking noise. Go to www.rodendsupply.com for a great selection of heim joints. Should cost $25-30.

I also would put a new track bar bolt through the bracket while you are at it. My stock bolt was completely threaded at the point in which the bolt contacted the bracket. Crappy design.

Ben

d10shun said:
I chased the same noise for 2 months. I replaced/tightened tie rod ends, steering rod, and all the bolts. It turned out to be my heim joint. It is the joint at the end of the track bar on the body side. You can test it by pulling out the bolt that goes through the heim and track bar bracket. Once the bolt is out, slide a long long screwdriver through it and move it. You should hear the creaking noise. Go to www.rodendsupply.com for a great selection of heim joints. Should cost $25-30.

I also would put a new track bar bolt through the bracket while you are at it. My stock bolt was completely threaded at the point in which the bolt contacted the bracket. Crappy design.

Ben
Hmm I'm going to have to take a look at that, but if that's the case I will be kind of unhappy as it's a damn near brand new trackbar: it's RE heavy duty and has been on for about 6 months or so.

Kejtar said:
During that trip I got the front tires wedged and I had to do some hard turning while barely moving (I was working against two rocks on each side of the tires) which could possibly have something to do with in.

That's a definite clue. Folks who grew up knowing nothing other than power steering have no way to comprehend just how much force a power steering unit produces, and how much stress it can exert on steering components. It sounds very possible that you damaged some internal part of the box, but without knowing what I wouldn't suggest trying to rebuild it yourself. Besides, most people who try to repair their steering box manage to lose at least one of the recirculating balls, and then you have an expensive paperweight.

Is there anyone in your area who has a spare steering box you can bolt in as a diagnostic toll? If the clunk disappears with a borrowed box, you've found the problem. If it's still there, reinstall your box and keep looking.

I have the exact same thing going on with mine right now.. If I find anything out I'll be sure to let ya know.. Please do the same...

XJ Paul said:
I have the exact same thing going on with mine right now.. If I find anything out I'll be sure to let ya know.. Please do the same...

Will do. My current plan is to look at nearby components again: pull the trackbar and check the upper joint, and remove the front shocks and take it for a spin around the block and see what happens.

Back