• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof Rack Interchange

EasyMac308

NAXJA Forum User
Hi folks. First time poster, long time reader.

I've got a 1992 Cherokee Laredo, and I think my roof rack is leaking (my headliner is wet). It's definitely starting to rust and is missing some of the aero pieces, too. I'd like to replace it with a good junkyard one, but it would be helpful to know what the interchange is on it. Am I good with anything pre-97, are newer ones good, or am I stuck with a smaller range of years? Thanks!

IIRC, all full length rails are GTG. Late model had an option for shorter rails, they can work but do require modification.
I recommend pulling the headliner first, and use a garden hose/natural rainfall to determine where the leaks are coming from.
You can always remove the rack, if not using it and fill/seal the holes.

It has been my experience that there is a lot of variability in the roof rack from year to year and can even occurs during the same model year. Best practice is to measure everything closely and double check the replacement parts before purchase.

They actually changed quite a bit. For example my 91 is a one-off year, end holes are 1" further apart than other years, had to track down a 91 part-out to get new ones. According to the parts catalog, 92-93 have the same part numbers, and then 94-97, and it changes some more after that.

You might check with 94+ if you can find some in a yard, see if the holes line up. Mine they all lined up except for the front and rear.

For the roof inserts, just order regular nutserts from McMaster-Carr or wherever and put a small coat of RTV on the nutsert before you pull it tight.

I put a 92 rack on my 96. Fit just fine. My original rack was black and the one from the 92 was SS metal. Looked better on my Country with the bright package.

Back