• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heat blows cold when slow or stopped

Christoph006

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought a 91 Cherokee. The heat gets hot but I notice it gets cool or lukewarm when I slow to a crawling speed or am stopped. If I switch the blower off then back on after a minute or so of driving to Heat or Defrost it’ll be hot again. Previous owner replaced radiator, water pump, thermostat and heater core.

Is this a vacuum issue? If so how would I go about finding it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditch the heater valve while you're at it.

Totally unnecessary and there is no downside to eliminating it.

I’m unfamiliar with the heater valve. Where is this?

I checked the radiator at the cap. No fluid to that point but there’s what looks like a return or vacuum port to the left of the cap in the picture that’s uncapped allowing air into the system. Doesn’t that feed into the overflow?
0e39e8f0d74baf53e5eb994307bf3c2a.jpg

Heater control valve is inline with the heater hoses near the firewall. I got rid of mine a long time ago. Just run some new hoses. Ands there should be a hose on that barb to the overflow.

That coolant is nasty. Flush it and the heater core and change the thermostat.

I’m unfamiliar with the heater valve. Where is this?

Up near the firewall. Connect the hoses together with a double barb (or better just replace the hoses with new heater hose, and cap off the valve line. Flush the heater core back-n-forth a few times to get all the crap out. Looking at that picture the whole system could use a flush.

8211245-1__ra_p.jpg

ccb60abd91c6b3f14e481fa95fa1349f.jpg
da9cb2a1669570ce20c8589a7f030772.jpg

Flushed the system today and replaced all hoses. I saw a guy on YouTube that showed the hoses for the 97+ XJs were molded perfectly to fit because they don’t use the heater control valve and just have to cut and splice the 5/8 and 3/4 hoses to go into the heater core. Cleans up the engine bay of some clutter and I routed the overflow line along the firewall. Heat is very hot now and isn’t blowing when I turn the hvac to off.

Thanks for the help everyone! Much appreciated!

More than likely it's a bad thermostat. Seen that a lot. Won't hurt to flush the heater core at the same time.

Pretty easy to change the thermostat or do I need to remove a few components out of the way prior to getting access to thermostat housing?

Back