• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 29spl, looking for new axle shafts

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,
I regeared last summer, 8.25 29spl 4.56 ARB, and the stock shafts are through the hardened coat so it's time for a replacement.

Ide like to know your recommendations for new/ upgraded shafts!
I figure some good shafts+ a good cover are worth while after spending the coin on the gears+ locker.

Thanks for your advice

What does “through the hardened coat” mean? I’ve never heard of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A hardened coat is done by heating and quenching the axle during the manufacturing process. Largely c clip axles are made of a:piratefla different metal and have a hardened coat or exterior, in order to last while riding on the outer wheel bearing. At 200000 miles stuff tends to wear out.

Perhaps another more knowledge able than i could elaborate on jeeps use of such axles.

Anyway keep the suggestions coming, I didn't even know Ox made axles.

all bearings are made of hardend steel, this is so that they can survive. But in rear axle aplications that are c clips, the axle bearings are not sealed so the axle becomes the inner race. It has a harded surface to survive the bearing. The harder the steel the stonger and loner it will survive, but make it to hard and they snap. some high prefrmance axles like from Strange or Moser and not for street use, they are so hard they can't take bumps. ive sean an axle shaft break right at the axle flange.

Both of my Jeep have Yukon rear axle shafts.
The 2001 has over a 100K on them without issues.
https://www.amazon.com/Yukon-YA-C52...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0078U911E

Not sure they are if needed with the 29-spline shaft but I'm always looking for a little insurance.
The 1997 had noisy rear axle bearings, the stock shaft's bearing surface were pitted and needed replacement. Upgrading to a better shaft wasn't much more cash.

Thanks for the info. So it’s “through the hardened coat” where the bearings are rolling on the axle. Correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back