• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fitting 35's

freedy

NAXJA Forum User
I just graduated to 35" MT/Rs from 33" Swamper SSRs and looking for tips on what people have done to stuff them into the wheel wells as much as possible. I've done all the usual stuff and then some to get the 33s to stuff in really well. With the 35s I see my first constraint is the inside rear of the wheel well when turning. In the rears it looks like the outside rear of the wheel well at the bottom of the flare. I've got 5" or maybe a tad more of lift and prefer not to go higher unless there's a good reason.

35s.jpg

This is my second XJ running 35's on a 4.5" lift. On both of them I used the factory flare up front as a guide for my plasma cutter to trim the fender out. That big seam that runs down the backside of the front wheel well I folded over with a rather larger hammer. Out back I just removed the stock flares and used a rather large hammer to fold over the edge of the fender that it bolts to. Basically like most people do except that I don't make slices first. Its actually pretty easy to fold over with a mini sledge. I keep going around and massage the entire wheel well to be a bit bigger, just watch the door gap on the rear door. :D

After that I just bump stop accordingly.

auFoyDT.jpg

This is my second XJ running 35's on a 4.5" lift. On both of them I used the factory flare up front as a guide for my plasma cutter to trim the fender out. That big seam that runs down the backside of the front wheel well I folded over with a rather larger hammer. Out back I just removed the stock flares and used a rather large hammer to fold over the edge of the fender that it bolts to. Basically like most people do except that I don't make slices first. Its actually pretty easy to fold over with a mini sledge. I keep going around and massage the entire wheel well to be a bit bigger, just watch the door gap on the rear door. :D

After that I just bump stop accordingly.

auFoyDT.jpg

Nice XJ! Off topic, is that a custom bumper?

Back