• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission issues

Treleaven

NAXJA Forum User
Hey gang,

I have a 98 Sport. 4" lift and 33's on open diffs with a 231 and auto transmission.

Everything has been fine with it and I basically baby the vehicle. No burn outs or drifting or mashing the skinny pedal unless I need to, which I rarely do.

I recently changed my transmission fluid for am soil. I just drained and filled, no filter change. I have out on maybe 600 km since the change and the fluid is already brown and burnt. I also got a P0758 code and my transmission would not kick down to first once the tranny got warmed up.

Any ideas what is going on?

How was the fluid before the change? Also, it's not a bad idea that when you do a fluid change to drop the pan and do the filter/ clean the magnets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you fried the tranny, for there was a reason to change fluid.I never change just thee fluid without a filter and new gasket.It's worth a try to start over.

If it's never had amsoil before, try dropping the pan, do a filter change and use new non synthetic dexron 3. If it's still bad time for a rebuild. Synthetic is super slick and amsoil has a lot of detergents so the clutches might be toast.

The Jeep AW-4 uses plain old everyday Dexron-III/Mercon. Numerous threads detail transmission slippage when using the wrong transmission fluids. Slippage generates heat.

Drain and re-fill with the correct fluid. Pay no attention to campfire stories about old transmissions being held together by worn friction material and congealed transmission fluid.

Transmissions fail from owner abuse caused by the neglect of routine maintenance.

So I was poking around under the Jeep and found the line from the transmission to the radiator had bent in half. I replaced the line and I also put in a ZJ tranny cooler.

I was about to drop the pan and do a filter change then cycle through about 10 litres of fluid, but I was wondering, would it be a better idea to do the filter change after cycling through the fluid?

Throwing an external filter on the return line seems to be common practice. If you did that, lots of folks will just say leave the screen in the pan alone and then you can change the external one at regular intervals very easily. Also, folks say you should only change a few quarts at a time over the course of a few weeks until it's coming out clean.

Throwing an external filter on the return line seems to be common practice. If you did that, lots of folks will just say leave the screen in the pan alone and then you can change the external one at regular intervals very easily. Also, folks say you should only change a few quarts at a time over the course of a few weeks until it's coming out clean.

Thank you for introducing that into my life. Will pick one up today. I topped up, and I will drive for a few days and then install inline filter and replace screen.

Hey Dan,

Any idea if a power steering inline filter will work the same on a transmission?

Be aware that if you are messing with trans cooler lines you need to use hoses rated for ATF and higher pressure. I like to use the solid clamps with a screw and nut as well and any fitting MUST be barbed (if clamping to steel line, start a flare for a little bubble instead of a barb)

Once upon a time I had an old Dodge Dart where unknown to me someone had patched a trans cooler line with fuel line and worm clamps (couldn't see it, under the car) that did not end well. Caught the ATF on fire when it burst and the trans didn't survive well either.

Just as an update...

I installed a new transmission cooler line, and installed a ZJ tranny cooler with the proper fittings. Today on the trail, it was still having trouble shifting but only once. Still through the same Solenoid B code I got before. I ordered 2 new solenoids, and I have a new in pan filter and an inline filter to install. I am glad I waited to install the in pan filter after cycling some fluid through...already changed it twice, and I plan to change it two more times until it is pink.

Back