• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel gauge and pump acting up?

MoparManiac

NAXJA Forum User
91/4.0/AW4/D30 8.25 3:55 31x10.5

Well I had another post up about my tranny and it took care of itself apparently but now I have another weird issue which I'm guessing is electrical and not the pump or gauge themselves.

I've notice that when braking, accelerating or turning that the gauge fluctuates alot more than normal. A couple times the past week the gauage has dropped smoothly to nothing and then my jeep would start bucking, 2 of the times it died and restarted eventually. Other times the gauge would work itself back up and no more problems.

My guess would be something got really dirty or a relay is going out? Any advice before I start diggin into this tonight?

EDIT- also forgot to mention when I first started my jeep this morning i could watch the gauge slowly fluctuate up and down, and the fuel pump would get louder and softer respectively with the movements...?

Bad ground to tank, lose plug(s) to tank. shorting wires to tank. The engine cutting out and the gauge quieting at the same time shore sounds like a bad ground to tank to me.
Fuel gauges are just like wifes they are never right. Don't pay to much close attention to them. Just remember to put a little something in them form time to time so they don't up and leave you stranded.

Last edited:
LOL good analogy badron.

I checked the voltage from the 3-prong plug by the tank and the pump is getting 13.6 volts when its running and the gauge is getting 6-6.2 volts no matter what. This just leads me to believe that it has something to do with the assembly in the tank? This is just really annoying since I've had problems with the pumps in the past with the dealer forgetting about the inlet filter...thanks for your help though i really appreciate it.

Back