• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 SE Build Thread

racer32

NAXJA Forum User
Well I have finally bought/gathered/built most everything I need to start my build up. First off, its a 98 SE with about 78k on the clock. GSA auction ex Gov. vehicle so it has a no frills interior... it does have gauges though...

Parts list:
RE 6130 with 3.5" front springs and full rear packs
RE HD trackbar and bracket
RE Steering stabilizer
JKS quicker discos
.75" spacers
TerraFlex 2Lo conversion
HD SYE
Bilstein 5150 fronts
Bilstien 5100 rears
High Tec Retreads 31" OTR Muds
Cragar 397 15x8 4" BS with custom fitted Jeep logo center caps

Smittybilt XRC8 8k Winch
Pics located HERE

I have an ARB for the front and I just scored a D44 for the rear. I still need to order gears and figure out what locker/LS I want for the rear. So I'll be running on the D35 and 3.55's for awhile...

SM_0580.jpg

Custom machined bar pins for the front by yours truly:
SM__0574.jpg

SM__0575.jpg

SM__0584.jpg

SM__0586.jpg

Oh yeah thats a secksy pile o parts right there... :guitar:
SM__0587.jpg

SM__0589.jpg

racer32 said:
I have an ARB for the front and I just scored a D44 for the rear. I still need to order gears and figure out what locker/LS I want for the rear.

If you've got an ARB up front, do the same in the back. Here's what I don't quite get, though:

So I'll be running on the D35 and 3.55's for awhile...

The carrier break at both ends is 3.73 - so assuming you intend to go to 4.10 (or numerically-higher) gears, sit on the front ARB, order another one for the D44, and do them all at the same time. Problem solved :)

Last edited:
Loving the Jeep center cap on the black steelies, will they mount like that alright (would think more would be doing it)

Good luck on the build, looks like a perfect candidate.

Do I dare ask how much you paid for it (wondering what they auction out for)

casm said:
But you say you've got a D44 on hand. If it's a question of waiting on a rear locker and gears until the D44 is in, then stick the ARB in the D30 now and plumb the D44 ARB in after the axle's installed. Problem solved, and a front locker in the meantime is still damned useful.

Well if I'm putting in the ARB, it needs to have 4.10's on it and I dont want to buy gears for the D35 while I'm deciding what to do about the D44 rear. Plus I'm going to adapt the ABS to the D44 too and that will take a bit of time. I'd love to do an ARB rear, I just can't afford it... I blew the wad on all the other stuff and I got the front ARB cheap & used a couple years ago...

Anybody got a D44 ARB for cheap? :)

racer32 said:
Well if I'm putting in the ARB, it needs to have 4.10's on it and I dont want to buy gears for the D35 while I'm deciding what to do about the D44 rear. Plus I'm going to adapt the ABS to the D44 too and that will take a bit of time. I'd love to do an ARB rear, I just can't afford it... I blew the wad on all the other stuff and I got the front ARB cheap & used a couple years ago...

Ack. You outpaced my edit - see the revised version above.

TheEddie said:
Loving the Jeep center cap on the black steelies, will they mount like that alright (would think more would be doing it)

Good luck on the build, looks like a perfect candidate.

Do I dare ask how much you paid for it (wondering what they auction out for)

Yeah the center caps screw on from the back, you just have to drill holes in your wheels.. I bought some countersunk screws so they clear the drive flanges fine...

I paid $6200 in Idaho for it. Had about 62k on the clock when i got it... that was about $1200 below book around here...

casm said:
Ack. You outpaced my edit - see the revised version above.
We're on the same page man... ;)

:cheers:

my xj had the same life before i got my hands on it.
i payed 6000 in 2003 and it was booking at about 9000.

that sidewall seems to have a pretty aggressive profile... ..are those really just bfg ats?

Anybody wanna drag race?

Pics%5C98%20XJ%20Buildup%5CSM_0602.jpg

lookin good man.

Hahah, wish I had taken a pic of my XJ when I drove it around with only the back done on 3"!!

Nice list though, looking good so far!

TRAILREADYXJ said:
Let's go!!!

DSCF0597.jpg

HAHA dude thats sweet...

Making good progress today, the front is starting to go back together now...

Well, all thats left is the drive shafts, do a quickie alignment and re-check all the bolts. I would like to kill someone at Bilstein though. My 5100s havent shown up yet and I paid for Next Day Air on thursday the 12th :flamemad: So I have to borrow a car to get to work on monday..

The tires gave me about 1.5" over the stockers and I put the 3.5" springs in this thing. My stock springs must have been worn out or something because I got 5.5" of lift out of this package; 7" including the tires :yelclap:

Anyway here it sits as of 6:00 tonight:

Pics%5C98%20XJ%20Buildup%5CSM_0603.jpg

Pics%5C98%20XJ%20Buildup%5CSM_0604.jpg

Rear shocks came in today... got them installed and went for a quick test drive...

All I can say is awesome... :guitar:

SM_0608.jpg

SM_0614.jpg

SM_0616.jpg

racer32 said:
Rear shocks came in today... got them installed and went for a quick test drive...

All I can say is awesome... :guitar:

SM_0608.jpg

SM_0614.jpg

SM_0616.jpg

Your back doesnt look like it has very much flex. I know they are new packs and all, but they should have a bit more then that.
Did you take off the rear sway bar? That would help a lot right there.

And yes, I would like to race as well.
im000694al9.jpg

very nice rig man.

Back