• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 300 cid swap

Shadowgames96XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have been toying with the idea of swapping in the Ford I6 300 cid, from a 90 f150, C6 and NP241 or dana 20 tcase, what are the pros and cons of this swap?? how close is this engine to the jeep 4.0?? any help would be great.

I had that motor in my 95 F-150 that i used to have. torquey littly motor but i went through a set of motor mounts every 2-3 months. other than that its a bitchin motor.

I had a 95 ford E-350 super cargo van with the 4.9 and it has a lot of torque and is a very durable engine. mine had 289,000 miles on it when I sold it and was still running very well but I think it is taller than the 4.0.
Sean

Shadowgames96XJ said:
I have been toying with the idea of swapping in the Ford I6 300 cid, from a 90 f150, C6 and NP241 or dana 20 tcase, what are the pros and cons of this swap?? how close is this engine to the jeep 4.0?? any help would be great.

Why reinvent the wheel?

Explain why you'd want to swap to another 6 cyl that needs a custom harness/mounts with a 3 speed tranny when you already have what was designed to go in there in the first place?

Seems to me that your time and money would be better spent repairing/replacing whatever is wrong with your originals.

i broke my block at where my motor mount is and my jeep is an 89. so I am going to reinforce the motor mount bracket and use some more holes on the block. I am currently looking for a 91+ 4.0HO to swap in. I had a ford 300cid and it is only about an 1" longer than the jeep 4.0. not gonna go through the hassle of doing it. but it was just a thought. i would have more transmission options and tcase options with the ford 300, since it is a small block bell housing bolt pattern.

Shadowgames96XJ said:
i broke my block at where my motor mount is and my jeep is an 89. so I am going to reinforce the motor mount bracket and use some more holes on the block. I am currently looking for a 91+ 4.0HO to swap in. I had a ford 300cid and it is only about an 1" longer than the jeep 4.0. not gonna go through the hassle of doing it. but it was just a thought. i would have more transmission options and tcase options with the ford 300, since it is a small block bell housing bolt pattern.

wouldnt be a bad idea if the xj was saddled its entire life with some under powered short lived shit box engine. But you can get running HO 4.0s for $500 easy, you can get cores for a rebuid for free or $100 easy. I wouldnt even consider it for a second. Not bad engines they do run forever, but doesnt seem to be any upside at all to this swap

I was thinking of putting the 300 and the 435 granny 4 speed and 205 out of an f150, but this setup is heavy and large. too much ground clearance loss. I agree, not worth the effort to swap in the ford 6

Back