• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 xj serpentine belt tensioner location?

Smittty9785

NAXJA Forum User
ok this is sad i just dont understand. well i lost my diagram about the serpentine belt route, i managed that. But now i cant find the damn tensioner to put a new one back on? any suggestions?

Power Steering Pump. There are two bolts on the back, the top bolt on the front, and a nut on the slider stud - all take a 13m/m wrench.

Once you've loosened those, put a 1/2" socket on the head of the adjuster bolt (runs crosswise under the pump, you may want to remove the airbox to access it easier) and play with that bolt - LOOSEN to remove tension, TIGHTEN to increase it.

Tighten all four bolts/nuts when you're done. The two on the back will certainly want a wrench, and you don't have to loosen them very far anyhow - so a socket really isn't needed for the adjuster bolts - just the crosswise slide bolt.

Be careful you don't crack the "knuckle" that holds tension on the pump - it's sintered, and I haven't been able to start making new ones out of wrought stock yet...

5-90

Back