• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1989 Alternator Upgrade

canook2u

NAXJA Forum User
I looked thu (SOME) of the archives and did
not see this subject, if it's been done before,
please bear w/ me. My '89 is in desperate need
of more amps. Other than mean green, is there
an alternator upgrade? Preferably, a swap out
from another vehicle.....
Thanks,

Fred Rupert
[email protected]:rolleyes:

I scored a rebuilt 180 amp alternator on eBay about 2 years ago - $96 shipped. Real happy w/ it so far - charges fine at idle but ya should be aware that many of the rebuilts for hi-amps don't put out as much current at idle as the hi dollar ones. (Just keep the idle bumped if ya winch w/ manual throttle etc)

Guy I bought from isn't on ebay anymore (that I can find) but did find this guy w/ 160 amp alternators w/ claimed 70 amp output at idle. Few dollars more but still less than mean green.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2439375998&category=33573

Also, a LOT of alternators from other vehicles will interchange & if the back of the alternator isn't 'clocked' correctly there are a couple of sites ya can google search for that will show ya how to reclock them. Pulleys are easy to change too - Harbour Fruit has a pulley tool on sale every couple of weeks for $10.

HTH
:anon:

I did a search just a few weeks ago on the same subject and found that there is a alternator that is a direct swap that is a stock part for a Dodge truck (can not remember the year or model) but I remeber the part was less than a stock replacement and put out significant amps at idle and somewhere in the 140 at rpm.

Do another search and you should be able to find it, sorry I do not have more specifics but I do remember that I found it here recently and was impressed with both idle and at rpm specs.

Michael

Find a local chop and check them out. I have a local here in San Jose that does all my rewinds - I got a unit that puts about 50A out at idle, nearly 180 at 2500RPM, and cost me less than $100! Got a starter that gets the engine up to 300RPM a little quicker, too...

5-90

Back