• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Engine + New Motor Mounts = #$&@ at 1000RPM

jrowell

NAXJA Forum User
Dropped a new engine in my 87 along with aftermarket Motor Mounts. I only have about 1 mile on it so for, but noticed there is SIGNIFICANT vibes between 800-1200 RPM's. Before and after those rpm's the vibes are only slightly more than the stock engine/motor mounts. The vibes happen driving and in park. Could the vibes point to any other problems? or is it just a quirk of my new setup?

what motor mounts? good rubber mounts will transmit more vibrations for a while. especially new. poly ones are even worse. My ironman4x4fab motor mounts vibrated pretty bad when I first put em in, but they arnt bad at all now.

what motor mounts? good rubber mounts will transmit more vibrations for a while. especially new. poly ones are even worse. My ironman4x4fab motor mounts vibrated pretty bad when I first put em in, but they arnt bad at all now.
they are a poly blend. They vibes are only slightly more than stock through all the other rpms... very acceptable. At 1k rpm feels like a vibrating massage chair on overdrive!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

they are a poly blend. They vibes are only slightly more than stock through all the other rpms... very acceptable. At 1k rpm feels like a vibrating massage chair on overdrive!

I'm betting that the rpms are just resonating in that area. I'm told as I put more miles on them it'll calm down. I'm not worried about the vibes so much as me doing something wrong on the engine install.

I have brown dog poly mounts and I stared out with the through bolts too tight. It vibrated awful.

Loosen the through bolts a little on each side and test drive until the vibration is gone. I’d bet you tightened the though bolt and nut tight.

I understand vibes are annoying to most but thats what torque transfer feels like ;)

It's captured, I used a press to compress the outer band before I welded it. It ain't going anywhere.

3" OD IIRC.............same insert sized used in hundreds of makes and models. Mine was for a Toyota Camry.
You could go to the PnP and get a couple of mounts to cut the bracketry off and use the press ring.....whatever you want to do.

You can also drill and fill with weld in the center of the band or you can drill and tap for a short bolt (2) and thread two button heads through the band into the insert thus mechanically combining the two.

however you want to design it.

V4tD9Q0h.jpg

You do realize you mounted that bushing about 60 degrees off right? That gap is designed to be at the top.

Back