• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full bodied MJ on 42.5 boggers

SkinnyRidgeMJ

NAXJA Forum User
Seeing some sweet MJs on here. Heres my baby.

attachment.php

I swapped in some tons (dana 60/14bolt) Geared to 5.38. Three linked the front and threw some 17 travel Bilstien coilovers on it. Yes I use all 17 inches. Tires are 42.5x13.5x17 Boggers. Bobbed Boatsided with 1/4" plate. Fenders are roll cage tubing tied into the body. Transmission is a gm sm465 transfer is a np208 but only temporarily. Working on a strongbox and twin sticked np205. Sorry for the poser shots but its still under the knife.

Those tires cost more than I have in my whole rig! Powerplant?

I kept the 4.0. though its from a 98 Cherokee. as is front clip, dash wiring harness etc. I may build a stroker for it if I get the rest finished before spring. As for the tires. ya they cost me more than I have in the whole truck. believe it or not its a budget build. I have done all the work myself, from designing and fabbing the 3 link to paint and body work. I got a hansom tax return last year and convinced the wife I needed them...

from NH, AWSOME! rig looks sweet, gonna cage it?

holy crap, where is my like button when I need it?

I totally dig that MJ. So sweet. WOW. just WOW .

3ooq.jpg

Picture of my coilover mounts. Im not an engineer so I have to overbuild things...

kyaf.jpg

And here is what im currently working on. This SM465 is HUGE!

h06j.jpg

New floors and tunnel going back in.

juxr.jpg

Last edited:
Holy. the sm465 looks a lot bigger when you put in a unibody rig! I like the use of a steering shaft for a shifter too lol! Does everything still engage as firmly with that linkage on it as if it were direct? I know the sm isn't always the friendliest transmission to shift. I'm just picturing the linkage flexing and whatnot in my head.

I would also not be upset if you posted more photos...

Holy. the sm465 looks a lot bigger when you put in a unibody rig! I like the use of a steering shaft for a shifter too lol! Does everything still engage as firmly with that linkage on it as if it were direct? I know the sm isn't always the friendliest transmission to shift. I'm just picturing the linkage flexing and whatnot in my head.

I would also not be upset if you posted more photos...

It has no flex in the linkage at all. and shifts very firmly. I used bronze bushings and 1/2 inch bolts so its tight. It also shorted the throw to about 4 inches between 1st and 2nd.

Here one of my bellhousing. its from a cj5 with a t176. mounted a cps on it and made a slave cylinder mount that holds a porsh 944 slave. redrilled to fit the sm465.

w1zh.jpg

How about these drive flanges... Ads a little character.

d55n.jpg

Awesome.

I had a similar setup with the NP435 in my MJ before I did the 440 swap. My next move was going to be doing a linkage shifter setup like you've done. LOVE the idea of the steering shaft. Awesome for sure.

MORE PICS

6gxz.jpg

Trying to flex it out with an engine crane... Need a bigger one I guess. By doing this I realized the rear was a little soft so I added a leaf. My rear leaves are from a Chevy Tahoe because they are the same length from the center pin to the front eyelet but 5 inches shorter in the rear and has the same spring rate. That allowed me to bob the rear 13 inches and still keep the springs from hanging out past the rear bumper. For a add-a-leave I used the main from the Comanche pack. I Opened up the eye on one end and slid it over the front eye on the Tahoe spring. Basically creating a military wrap. Seems like its balanced nicely now.

Back