• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rides of March 2016

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
Will the dates be 3/11-13 this year?

I have to be in Dallas on March 14, then down to San Antonio for business the 15-21, before going back to Dallas on the 22nd.

If those dates are accurate, I may drive over from Nashville, run the Rides that weekend, then stash my Jeep in Dallas somewhere and rent a car for the San Antonio portion of the trip.

Drive is only 9 1/2 hours to Gilmer, assuming the event is at Barnwell again. Long time out, but thinking big picture.

There was some talk of the weekend of the 19th. That said I really doubt we will be going to Barnwell, there seem to be some strong negative feelings about red mud. The leaders seem to be Hidden Falls, k-trail, and k2(?).

Where is K-trail and K2? The weekend of the 19th is a no go for me, and the Marble Falls location adds about 4 hours to my drive.

If it ends up that weekend ending in the 13th and in Gilmer it would make a great birthday weekend! I'll keep looking back for updates and if it works, great and if not, it was worth a shot.

Last edited:
Marble falls can be on your way to San Antonio. K-trail is Arkansas and K2 park is near 30 miles or so from Hidden falls so could be on way to San Antonio too. I'm sure we might have a member that would let you park jeep at their place.

K-trail is a trail that travels across Oklahoma into Arkansas about halfway up the state. This would take a lot more planning than going to a park.

K2 is the "new" location for Katemcy Rocks from a while ago when that ranch closed down. It is only open on certain weekends and only part of the year.

I brought both of these locations up to gauge interest since we have never been to either one.

The biggest problem about our area is everything is private land and there aren't many places to go "wheeling" which is why I am more into very remote vehicle camping.

The reason we dislike Barnwell so much is from a bad experience a few years ago and the weather is always crap when we are there.

The first weekend in March is the only one that I am busy so far.

Speaking solely for myself I like Hidden Falls and Barnwell. Everyone knows HF, it has great amenities good trails, gives my family a day in Austin, which makes us feel like we are back in San Francisco, and it does not feel as remote as Barnwell to me. On the other hand I do like the red dirt and many of Barnwell's trails. I have never been to K2 (http://www.katemcyrocks.com/index.html), but the pictures make it look like a more extreme HF (need to hear from exxon or roger on that) which does not bother me my jeep is a white trash trailer queen. Seems if we could guarantee enough people K2 would be open. While I want to to the K-trail, and have been saying it for a few years, there do seem to be some strange stories from that area (see Wrong Turn), and I am not sure if anyone here knows enough of the area to lead a run there.

Barnwell is in my backyard, so I vote for it. If held in Barnwell, I can guarantee my attendance at the event.

Never done HF and not opposed to it..

I'll go to Barnwell. As long as Patrick can promise no rain.

I'd rather have snow than rain. This time I won't have shorts only like however many years ago it was.

With enough heads-up and somewhat guaranteed numbers I think I could get a friend that knows K-trail to lead us... maybe? Katemcy is different and the part I like is you can pretty much bypass anything you want. Not sure what if any facilities so that sometimes makes it difficult especially with spouses. I am 50/50 for Barnwell or Hiddenfalls. I am not sure but I think Justin could get us into Ozona... we could stake out our own trail and campsite :) but it's far for most.

With enough heads-up and somewhat guaranteed numbers I think I could get a friend that knows K-trail to lead us... maybe? Katemcy is different and the part I like is you can pretty much bypass anything you want. Not sure what if any facilities so that sometimes makes it difficult especially with spouses. I am 50/50 for Barnwell or Hiddenfalls. I am not sure but I think Justin could get us into Ozona... we could stake out our own trail and campsite :) but it's far for most.

if held in barnwell I may try to make it, btw I have done the ktrail 4-5 times, depending on when I could go to that as well.

Did Barnwell Sunday. Was surprisingly dry for as much rain as we've had. Soupy stuff could be found but you had to go look for it

b15b4c0c306fe9c17fe0b22bb8fe4f80.jpg

For example, this was in the first hour of being there ... On the way to the campsite.

There was no standing water when I started across.

That's ONE way to get to the campsite!! Looks like Greenlane. Definitely wet down there. We spent most of the day at higher elevations. cruised the lower stuff later in the day

Back