• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter stays engaged!!

yellowoctupus

NAXJA Forum User
Help guys! I have my 93 4.0 up for sale (guy's coming to see it tomorrow!) and it JUST started having this crazy issue!

Get in, turn the ignition switch, truck fires up, but starter continues to be engaged, even when I turn the ignition all the way off. I have to remove the relay in the engine relay/fuse panel to make it stop. Then I can put the relay right back in and it doesn't re-engage immediately, only when I cycle the key back to the start position again.

Does this sound like the starter solenoid itself is hanging up or something?

Try swapping the relay with a neighboring one.

That was one of the first things I tried. I dug around and found out the PO had jumpered a wire directly from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid, I guess in parallel with the relay. There's a good chance that socket was empty when I got it, but when I was going through all of the relays and fuses I filled it accidentally. I pulled the starter relay and whammo, it works fine now. There must be a wire that is intermittently grounding it, or backfeeding power somehow through another circuit or something. I know it's not factory, but it's going to have to work for now. It's already been like this (ig sw directly to starter) for who knows how long now, so it is what it is at this point.

Thanks for the quick reply!

That was one of the first things I tried. I dug around and found out the PO had jumpered a wire directly from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid, I guess in parallel with the relay. There's a good chance that socket was empty when I got it, but when I was going through all of the relays and fuses I filled it accidentally. I pulled the starter relay and whammo, it works fine now. There must be a wire that is intermittently grounding it, or backfeeding power somehow through another circuit or something. I know it's not factory, but it's going to have to work for now. It's already been like this (ig sw directly to starter) for who knows how long now, so it is what it is at this point.

Thanks for the quick reply!

No problem. Good job finding it. If you can you should wire it back to factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back