• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end noise?

This may sound stupid but check if al your lug nuts are tight. If that's not it then do a basic look over and check of the front end. Ball joints. U joints. Tie rod ends. Wheel bearings. Front driveshaft u joints and cv joint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possible exhaust manifold leak. How many miles on your Jeep? Is it more noticeable when temp is cold outside?

Last edited:
The lug nuts are tight, thanks.
I hear & feel clunk this only when moving with the wheel turned, it's definitely not the manifold.

As far as I can tell, all of the suspension & steering parts look fine and feel tight when I grab and shake. I am not aware of any further methods within my ability level in which to test the front end parts.

Two ways I check front axle shaft U-joints. With a good flashlight inspect the rubber ring around the U-joint bearing cap, if it is covered in rust dust you likely have a dry joint. The second is to jack the tire slightly off the ground under one side of the axle housing, stick a long screwdriver or bar through the U-joint/yoke and lightly turn the tire until the screwdriver or bar jams, kind of bounce it a little. With your flashlight you can see the "X" moving sideways in the cap, which means your needle bearings are toast. The closer you can get your eyeball to the joint the better.

As always be real careful working under a jacket up vehicle, be careful where you stick your head.

When the U-joints are going out they seem to be a lot louder when in 4X, driving slowely while turning.

Sounds like a axle u-joint to me!

Two ways I check front axle shaft U-joints. With a good flashlight inspect the rubber ring around the U-joint bearing cap, if it is covered in rust dust you likely have a dry joint. The second is to jack the tire slightly off the ground under one side of the axle housing, stick a long screwdriver or bar through the U-joint/yoke and lightly turn the tire until the screwdriver or bar jams, kind of bounce it a little. With your flashlight you can see the "X" moving sideways in the cap, which means your needle bearings are toast. The closer you can get your eyeball to the joint the better.

As always be real careful working under a jacket up vehicle, be careful where you stick your head.

When the U-joints are going out they seem to be a lot louder when in 4X, driving slowely while turning.

This works, but I prefer to jack front end up, turn wheels to lock and rotate each tire while checking for binding, noise, play etc.

Back