• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No 1st gear?

95cherokee96

NAXJA Forum User
This problem basically came out of nowhere. I was driving my Jeep last night and it felt a bit sluggish, I honestly thought it was because I was driving a different vehicle just before that with a bit more power than my Jeep but I drove again today and there is definitely something going on. Let's start with the Jeep: it's a 2000 XJ classic with 4.0 and automatic transmission. What's happening is it feels like it's starting out in 2nd or 3rd gear. With the pedal floored it'll rev up to about 2000 rpm and accelerate much slower than in 1st. It's really only a problem when the vehicle comes to a stop, it seems to be shifting fine when in other gears. When I shift into 1st/2nd instead of drive it starts the same very sluggishly. I've looked up the issue but it seems like all the info is for Grand Cherokees or older Cherokees. Does anyone know what the issue might be? I don't want to take it in somewhere if it's something I can fix at home for cheap.

chances are the info you found is still relevant as long as the grand Cherokee had the aw4 in it. the transmission didn't really change internally. just got a few more sensors.

if i had to guess one of the solenoids are bad or wiring to them damaged. but i would start off with a fluid check. level, color and smell.

Correct me if I'm wrong but putting the shifter down into 1-2 should be a valve shifting not a solenoid. If it still won't grab first in 1-2 then there may be an issue. But still go with a basic check as mentioned above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chances are its the 1-2 solenoid. BEFORE you do any part buying do the solenoid test. An ohm meter at the TCU which is located above the gas pedal. A easy search will give you procedure. It takes a couple hours to change out the solenoids. They are under the tran pans. IF that is the problem. Does it start out normally if you put it in 1-2 and shift manually?

Ron

Back