• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intermittent power steering loss

Dragonlich1961

NAXJA Forum User
Lately I've been having issues where it seams like, well no power steering.

Basiclly I'm driving down Penn turnpike and pull into service plaza. Go to park and it feels like someone forgot to put the belt on. Like turning without engine running.

Finally got it parked and figured it could be heat, so I let it sit for a half hour while I munch on food. Come out and restart the Jeep, same shit. So I say f it and get ready to keep rolling, put it in reverse to get out of my parking spot and suddenly I have power steering again

Pump is not whining like low on fluid. Checked fluid level is fine.
1994 4.0 aw4 3" 30's 2dr 135k
The gear box is OEM. The pump is a replacement unit from advanced auto, about one year ago at 115k. New lines at the same time. Cardone. I think the pump may be my probelm since we've not had luck with cardones before. 02 liberty pump leaked like a siv right out of the box. 06 Magnum pump whined like crazy, never really quieted down.

Thanks chris

I had that happen going down a ledge in Moab and ended up on my lid. I pulled the steering gear apart and found a couple of grains of sand. From what I can tell, a piece got stuck in the valve mechanism. I pulled everything apart and flushed the unit. I haven't had it since.

I recently had that problem with my saturn, and it turnout the pulley was coming loose of the pump shaft on the power steering pump (Autozone rebuilt), until it failed completely (that was when I figured it out).

I'll take a look at it. Had it happen before but never as bad. Now. Having it happen little more frequently, so what ever is failing is failing more. If its the pump I'm going to look to upgrading.
On 30's now, planing to upsize to 32 eventually. What would be a good updated pump. Also have a 99+ intake and newer bracket siting in storage. I think I might play the throw parts at it game, starting with the pump. Since it seams like a good start. Also going to fix my brake pad slides to see if that is the cause

If you are willing to spend some money, you can get a psc pump w/ res. for around $230.. even on amazon

I had this happen when turning steering wheel one way during idle. Gradually got worse. I Rebuilt the steering gear. The Seals go bad. Now working great for a few years.

It seams to be doing it both ways. Once it would not turn at all either way but it did not sound like a pump that is straining agaisnt steering stops

My vote is also the steering gear. Max load on your steering is always gonna be at low-speed parking lot maneuvers. The extra force required here is probably overwhelming a failing part inside the gear, like the valve or seals as mentioned.

Girrrr. Not what I was wanting to here. Again I may do the pump first because it's cheaper and needs to be changed for future upgrades, and because I suspect it, just do too 2/3 bad luck with same remained parts.
If I can change the box I'm debating about putting in my spare Xj box(good when pulled), a new Xj box or a Durango box.

Still happens randomly, had it happen a few times just around town never as bad as before. I have not driven it a long distance since. Just back and forth to school and errands.

When it happens, can you still turn the wheels, just not very easy. On mine with the grain of sand, it froze up so you couldn't turn the wheels.

Hey - did you ever resolve your issue? I've got the same problem with my '98.

I ordered a new pump from PSC, failed right out of the box as it dripped fluid which was then spread throughout my engine bay. Ordered a replacement (which they speedily sent out - thank you!), however I'm still having the intermittent loss of power steering!

yes i did finally fix it. The pump failed completly, resulting in no powersteering and a basiclly locked steering wheel unless rpms where up, even when the vehicle was moving, super sketch hitting an off ramp, which is a clover leaf style, and suddly finding no steering response. at 35mph.

A new pump fixed it, i swapped to a 96+ sytle pump and bracket and a 99+ intake at the same time because i hate the old setup for addjusting.

though i am still have an ocasiaonal problem with my power steering, only when the pump is cold, and only on right turns, will i loose assist, not locked like before, just no assist. oh and it will only do once. until is cools down.

Back