• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What fuse tap do I need?

zachtyler

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 Laredo, need to use a fuse tap on the drivers side fuse panel. Do I need an ATC fuse tap, ATM, etc? I assume ATC. I read somebody saying that's wrong as well, though. So, what tap do I need, or in other words, what kind of fuses does it take?

What are you trying to do? Do you want constant power or switched power (ignition on)?

Most times when I need switched power I go to the "power acc" plug, right next to the clock fuse. I use an inline fuse. This plug is often empty, it may be already used if you have the trailer package.

Believe it is a ATO fuse, but won't swear to it. For me they have always been mini, maxi and regular spade fuses. The mini and maxi weren't used until later years.

Last edited:
OK I have to ask, didn't you look?

What are you trying to hook up?

It sounds funny but I haven't been with my rig for a little while. I've been out of town. I assumed it took the older, bigger ATO/ATC fuses. But, just the other day some guy was saying it was a different fuse you can't get anymore. I have since solved this issue. Thanks.

What are you trying to do? Do you want constant power or switched power (ignition on)?

Most times when I need switched power I go to the "power acc" plug, right next to the clock fuse. I use an inline fuse. This plug is often empty, it may be already used if you have the trailer package.

Believe it is a ATO fuse, but won't swear to it. For me they have always been mini, maxi and regular spade fuses. The mini and maxi weren't used until later years.

Thanks. I never thought about using that little plug. It's just a backup camera and monitor. It is 5 amps. I will have to take a look at the Power Acc plug, what kind of connector do you use? Would a simple male spade work?

Edit: I checked and there are no open spots. The only open ones go straight to the battery.

Last edited:
A good spot to tap into for something like that is the cigar lighter, violet/ orange wire. Radio fuse and actually the fuse for acc out on the fuse block. That circuit has a relatively large fuse 15 amp, use an inline 5 amp fuse for your backup camera.

The fuse block is vulnerable to getting kicked on occasion, anything sticking out is more vulnerable. If you do decide on a piggy back fuse I'd keep a spare around just in case. The Clock fuse or the Radio fuse would be your best bets for a piggy back. At $5-6 a pop piggy back fuses are kind of overpriced. A T tap connector and an inline fuse might be a better alternative. The best result is usually always to strip back a little insulation, wrap and solder, quality electrical tape or shrink tubing.

Reliability is usually solder, shrink tubing or tape first, crimp connector next, T tap last. I don't know where piggy back fuses fit in, likely to be low on the reliability list.

Back