• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stalling/no start

js_customs

NAXJA Forum User
I've been having some no start/stalling issues with my 88 4.0L xj...About a month ago, i had trouble starting it in a parking lot. It would crank and sputter but wouldnt start. I left it sit for 15 min. or so and then it started. I took it to the gas station and filled it up with gas and put in some injector cleaner...I changed the fuel filter and it ran fine up until yesterday.

I came out of the store yesterday and went to start my car and the same thing happened. I left it sit again and it restarted but stalled halfway through the parking lot. I let it sit some more and it restarted and I filled it up with new gas. This morning on the way to school it died in the middle of traffic. It restarted right away and seemed ok. I went home and when I was getting ready to go back to class, it wouldnt start again.

The tps was replaced a few weeks ago and is adjusted to .825. The idle air control is also new. The egr tube does have a slight leak, but its been there for about a year and never caused any problems before. I took the battery off and cleaned the terminals up, but it is 5 years old or so, so I'll take that to advance auto later and get it tested.

Where should I start looking? Like I said, it cranks and sounds like it's going to start but it just sputters for a few seconds and doesnt actually start.

Thanks for the quick reply...I haven't checked the fuel pressure yet, i'll have to pick something up from walmart or lowes to test it out

Probably not gonna find a fuel pressure test gauge at Walmart or Lowes. They can be a bit pricey also. Check with a parts store or tool suppy store or just see if a mechanic would be willing to test the pressure for you. Some parts stores will do it also.

Yeah, I picked one up from the autoparts store for $39...I replaced the battery and it starts again, but it still seems to sputter sometimes before it starts and doesnt seem to be running right. What is the fuel pressure supposed to be?

I tested it with the key on and the engine off and I got 35 psi...I read in the haynes manual to test it while running with the fuel pressure regulator disconnected and it should be 39 psi or something but I didn't try that yet. The manual says it should be between 39 and 50 psi, which doesnt really help. I read somewhere on here that it should be 45 psi with the key on, but I'm not really sure

Well, I would bet that 35psi would be good. Maybe not optimal, but good enough for standard operation. I would suggest at this point, follow Ecomike's advise and clean up and tighten all of the ground locations. Read his thread "Renx files".

Back