• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pressure jumping?

fizassist

NAXJA Member #1052
Hi,
'sorry if this has been answered; I didn't see anything like it when searching. My (recently acquired) XJ runs a constant 40 psi oil pressure most of the time while running. If I accelerate enough to force a downshift, however, it jumps up to well over 60 psi. This happens going up a hill or even on level ground. The oil still looks clean, but I may change it for the heck of it. Should I be concerned...?

Thanks!
fiz

jneary said:
i wouldnt worry about the gauge fluctuating. i would worry if it tays all the way to one end or the other and stays there.

Sorry, I should clarify: As long as it's downshifted, the gauge stays up. As soon as it upshifts, the needle returns to 40.

Sounds exactly like it should. Jeeps don't have a oil pressure regulator per se. So the pressure varies with the engine speed. It's perfectly normal. RELAX :wow:

old_man said:
Sounds exactly like it should. Jeeps don't have a oil pressure regulator per se. So the pressure varies with the engine speed. It's perfectly normal. RELAX :wow:

OK, thanks...I just won't look at the gauge when it downshifts. :D

My 98 does the same, and when i let it idle at a stop light for a bit, it drops, but as soon as I accelerate it rises back up accordingly. I think of it as responding to my RPM's and adjusting itself accordingly, just as old_man said.

I had a 93, and currently have a 92. I had eratic oil pressure readings on both... It would jump up quick, and back down, and fluctuate alot, more than normal for a Jeep... It was the oil pressure sensor on BOTH... The first one, i just let go, cause I knew it was just the sensor. That was fine till the oil actually broke the diaphram, and it spewed squirts of oil out of it every pump of the engine... If it's eratic like all the time, replace that sensor. It's easy to get to, right on top.

Back