• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rising Temps

Limited89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My heep had been running around 230-240 degrees. I replaced the fan clutch and found out that it didn't help. So I ordered a new radiator from a local shop (which is alot thicker then the stock one). I install it and it burp the system (backing up on ramps, unscrewed temp sensor, filled until coolant came out of temp sensor port) this is the correct way? And now it is running around 260 degrees constantly. I have no fan shroud, electric fan is kicking on around 215-220 degrees. Thermostat stuck? What else can be done? I am at my wits end here.:mad:

Thanks in advance

I've got some funky temps going on. I didn't run a fan shroud last year and it was ok. This year is completely different, and I have a fan shroud.

it won't make that much of a difference.

Replace the thermostat would be my guess. Unless your gauge sender is wrong and it's not running nearly that hot. Over 260 would mean overflowing coolant if you had a 50/50 mixture. With a 16 psi rad cap.

How do I know if my gauge sender is off/wrong, and how do I correct it?

Hmm, I will try shooting the engine block with a laser temp gun tomorrow, lets hope that works.

Last edited:
mine was having the same problem. I changed the thermostat and the housing and havent had a problem since. for about 20 bucks in parts you cant go wrong to change it anyways

water pump turning the right way??? The v-belt and serpintine belts pumps impellars are oposite. Pump bolts in no problem just trys to pump backwards and over heats!!!!

Also, I have had bad luck with new thermostats not working these days?

good luck

thedjjack said:
water pump turning the right way??? The v-belt and serpintine belts pumps impellars are oposite. Pump bolts in no problem just trys to pump backwards and over heats!!!!

Also, I have had bad luck with new thermostats not working these days?

good luck

Well the temperature increase started maybe 2 weeks ago, so I know for a fact it's not the impellar. I will see if I can get ahold of a new t-stat and housing and possibly a shroud. This jeep is a never ending money pit...:doh:

hasta

I just replaced the engine in my yeep and the temp was running like yours. I replaced the sensor at the rear of the engine (I apparently broke mine on install) and the temp dropped right back into the proper range.

You should be blowing coolant at 260 or close to it.
Find someone with a heat(inferred) gun to check it. Check T-stat in hot water. There is a lot of bad new T-stats always has been. Check rad cap to.
Flushing the system can't be a bad thing too. Is the belt tight?
Do you have the back of the hood raised. Not good at highway speeds.
Can/did you adust time timing? If yes, set it back. Last be not least check compression.

Last edited:
badron said:
You should be blowing coolant at 260 or close to it.
Find someone with a heat(inferred) gun to check it. Check T-stat in hot water. There is a lot of bad new T-stats always has been. Check rad cap to.
Flushing the system can't be a bad thing too. Is the belt tight?
Do you have the back of the hood raised. Not good at highway speeds.
Can/did you adust time timing? If yes, set it back. Last be not least check compression.

I will check it tonight with my "heat gun". I will see if I can pull the T-stat tonight and see whats going on. As for the radiator cap I have been through two of them, so it's new aswell. Do you think I really need to flush the system, if I have new hoses, radiator, brand new block, heater core etc?
The timing was fine after the install.
Thanks

Back