• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 (0630 head) Stroker in 90 Renix based Jeep

mvktr2

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm finally speaking up on NAXJA looking for help from someone with hopefully similar experience.

I have a 90' XJ with Renix system.
For over a decade it has had a 97 engine in it with a 0630 head. However the intake, throttle body, and exhaust manifold like the rest of the vehicle were all 1990 Cherokee!

I had a piston break before the holidays, pulled the engine over the holidays, sent the head to Russ Pottenger and am getting a stroker kit from him to rebuild a 4.7 stroker. VERY excited about what it'll be like when it is put together!

Now for the problem I need to solve!
In the interest of having the vehicle perform as designed with the ECM I'm keeping the EGR. Thus I need to affix an EGR and O2 sensor ports to a 97-99 header. I'm looking at a Flowtech header with a 6-2-1 configuration and 2.5" collector. (I won't compromise on a 2.5"+ collector) Part #92001FLT at Summit.

So let me know your experience with this fab situation, love to hear suggestions. My thought is to cut the bungs from my existing manifold and weld them onto the new steel header (not stainless). As placement will be different it'll throw off the geometry of the exhaust gas return tube but that's fairly easily dealt with via fabrication with the intake/exhaust affixed to the engine on the engine stand. Fwiw I'm an automotive instructor and work next door to the welding department so tools etc to do most things are within reach. Anyone got a source for bungs (stainless or mild steel) online? I think the EGR bung might be hard to source...

I've also considered getting a Clifford dual down pipe header and modifying it (it's the pace setter style but higher quality). I'm attracted to this option as there is more surface area to install bungs on via the two 2.5" collectors. Additionally the muffler shop could y-pipe from 2.5" to 2.75" which is volumetrically what my aggressively built 4.7L needs rather than 2.5". I know that's a can of worms for some people but if anyone has gone this route as it seems easier I'm very interested????

Thanks a ton!
Phillip in Mississippi
In March my relationship with my 1990 XJ will be 15 years. It's been a monster of reliability with roughly 500,000 miles on the chassis and this will be my 3rd engine. Brother in law killed the first one via over heating, broken #5 piston claimed engine #2.

Back