• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lifting shackles to level old leaf springs?

Weekender

NAXJA Forum User
Noob here. My 17 year old son's '01 XJ is new to us, is stock, and in great shape. But the rear springs are sagging. Not terribly, but it's noticeable.
There are no plans for a lift so is it advisable to use longer "lifting shackles" to level it out again? I've seen shackles with both a 1" and 2" lift bolt position.

Or since the worst part of the job, R/R rear shackles, is being done anyway, best to replace the leafs while halfway there?

Thanks,

Weekender.

Noob here. My 17 year old son's '01 XJ is new to us, is stock, and in great shape. But the rear springs are sagging. Not terribly, but it's noticeable.
There are no plans for a lift so is it advisable to use longer "lifting shackles" to level it out again? I've seen shackles with both a 1" and 2" lift bolt position.

Or since the worst part of the job, R/R rear shackles, is being done anyway, best to replace the leafs while halfway there?

Thanks,

Weekender.
I mean you could probably make them work. Fact is you're putting a bandaid on it. Full spring packs aren't expensive. And you should use this opportunity to buy 2" taller springs. Then coils up front, or an inexpensive spacer, and you've got a much better looking and functioning Jeep! Watch CL for some takeoff tires and you're in business!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Longer shackles will make the springs "invert" even more. Just p/u some new springs.

Thanks. New springs it is. Just don't want to get into lifts and driveline issues. This is a DD and won't see anything more challenging than fireroad use for camping, hunting, etc.

Weekender.

Thanks. New springs it is. Just don't want to get into lifts and driveline issues. This is a DD and won't see anything more challenging than fireroad use for camping, hunting, etc.

Weekender.

Definitely get new springs if you're planning on loading it down for camping and hunting.

You could take a salvage set of leafs and use the longest leaf, cut off the ends and insert it into your pack. It will give you a couple of inches of lift for cheap without much problem.

You could take a salvage set of leafs and use the longest leaf, cut off the ends and insert it into your pack. It will give you a couple of inches of lift for cheap without much problem.
It's true. Look up "bastard pack" for XJ on the ole interwebz.

Keep in mind, your still putting 20+ year old leafs back under your rig. They can flex well, but not ideal for towing a load.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back