• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Mods Questions for manual vs auto shifting

Charley3

NAXJA Forum User
Normally I hang out at JeepForum, but they haven't had any useful AW4 modification info for me for 97+ XJs that won't cause a CEL code. So I started exploring Naxja and CherokeeForum for AW4 shifting mod info.

I first learned of Montana Fab shifter module, but then a member at CherokeeForum told me of a better way.

He has a toggle switch for Auto vs Manual shifting. He uses the stock shifter to manually change gears. He has some method to prevent CEL codes. That sounds like a great setup. He told me Naxja is the place to learn about this. I Googled and read two threads by Naxja members Phil and BrettM where I learned of some possible ways to setup functionality, but I still don't have much specific info about how to do this on my 99 XJ. Or maybe I just don't understand what I read. Not sure which.

Is there still a product I can buy from BrettM or elsewhere? It looks like he might be offline now. Do I need to just make it from scratch? Not sure that I could do that.

Please give me detailed instructions for how to do this mod where I can flip a switch to go from Auto to Manual shifting using my stock shifter. Also, it'd be nice to know how to control the torque converter, but perhaps that's a separate topic for another time?

Please lay some knowledge on me. Full disclosure, I'm not very mechanically nor electrically talented, but I have two local friends who are. After I get good instructions and/or links to write-ups, I'll print the info for one of them to follow.

Last edited:
P.S. - I've heard or read somewhere a rumor that CB radio interference can cause random gear shifting with AW4 shift mods. Is that a concern? If so, is there a cure for it?

Last edited:
I run the Renix mod and have had no issues with interference. I am actually going to a shift kit for the AW4 that allows you to hold first gear without any electrical mods.

He uses the stock shifter to manually change gears.

The stock shifter has 3 positions. There are 4 gears. That right there leads me to believe you have gotten some bad information.

BrettM has not made a shifter for like a decade.

The stock shifter has 3 positions. There are 4 gears. That right there leads me to believe you have gotten some bad information.

The stock shifter can manually shift it to 1, 2, or 3. When I want 4th I would need to flip the toggle switch to Auto position and have shifter in D.

When I want 4th gear I'd probably already be in Auto and Drive, letting transmission shift itself like stock.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1103022

Going on 4 years now without issues on my RAD shifter, The only way I can set a CEL is if I do something crazy (like dump it into first at 80mph). But even then it won't set a solenoid wiring fault and still shift normally when I put it back into automatic mode.

Back