• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A good 12V source to pull from?

chickenbot

NAXJA Forum User
93 XJ NP231 AX15

I am looking to find a constant 12V source to tap into inside the cab to run relay for electric fans. I found a couple of unsed plugs under the dash but I don't know what they're for.

10zu8ia.jpg

345jxj8.jpg

nd0ytk.jpg

There's usually some empty slots in the fuse box you can use a spade connector on.use a test light to see as some are switched and others are constant. I wouldn't use for high draw stuff but good for CB's and relay activation.

2 prong black and orange is connected to the dash dimmer lights. Others I’m not sure. You can either splice into the radio or wires going into the steering column for key switch. You can also pull from fuse panel with a spade crimp connector and get power by splicing into the cigarette lighter. I chose a combination of the cigarette lighter for winch and locker really switches and fuse panel for my CB power.

You have many options here just choose what is easiest and neatest. Also try and solder connects as much as possible or use the heat shrink style crimp butt connectors.

2 prong black and orange is connected to the dash dimmer lights. Others I’m not sure. You can either splice into the radio or wires going into the steering column for key switch. You can also pull from fuse panel with a spade crimp connector and get power by splicing into the cigarette lighter. I chose a combination of the cigarette lighter for winch and locker really switches and fuse panel for my CB power.

You have many options here just choose what is easiest and neatest. Also try and solder connects as much as possible or use the heat shrink style crimp butt connectors.

To add to this, I pull the plastic strain relief off of most all crimp connectors, clean and flux the wire, then solder the connection and cover it with shrink tubing. Occasionally I'll double crimp the connection before soldering, it depends on how the wire fits the connector. Those connectors which you can't imagine removing the plastic from are mostly those which I don't use. Butt connections are achieved by meshing the prepared ends and soldering.

I agree, the fuse panel offers clean locations from which to pull power to build additional circuits.

Thank you. Y'all were a great help with those. I went with the fuse panel and the spade connector.

Christmas came early for me at work (I work at a dealership) with a 2000 xj with tones of goodies on it got traded in. My used car dept is just going to send it to auction and told me i could take anything that won't hurt the value. So i got a cb radio, fire extinguisher, jerry can, usb outlets with voltage gauge, led head lights, led spot lights, and a 3 row electric fans for the radiator. It also had a winch, smutty built xcr tire carrier rear bumper, and a roof rack but I wasn't allowed to take those

Back