• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Evaporative Emissions Leak (gross leak)

bmyohn

NAXJA Forum User
I got a code pulled from my jeep and it said that there was an emissions leak. I was told that my evaporative canister could be bad. (which i believe is the black box forward of the gas tank) i was told that if i replace the box my leak will go away. where do i get one of the boxes from, and am i looking in the right direction? any info would be great. im also running through the haynes manual for any more ideas. but i have a strong feeling that once i get this "gross leak" fixed i will have much better gas mileage and idle sound.

thanks
Brendan

bmyohn said:
I got a code pulled from my jeep and it said that there was an emissions leak. I was told that my evaporative canister could be bad. (which i believe is the black box forward of the gas tank) i was told that if i replace the box my leak will go away. where do i get one of the boxes from, and am i looking in the right direction? any info would be great. im also running through the haynes manual for any more ideas. but i have a strong feeling that once i get this "gross leak" fixed i will have much better gas mileage and idle sound.

thanks
Brendan

I have been running with that code for about 9 months. When I lifted the XJ I found the hoses coming out of the canister (yes black box by fuel tank) were all cracked and not sealing. I just have not gotten around to getting a new hose end yet (one dealer could not find the hose I was refering to and the parts stores I checked were useless), You may want to crawl under and see if maybe it is just a cracked hose that is keeping it from pressurizing.

dlarrivee said:
Usually for auto parts, you goto an auto parts store.

Way to make a worthwhile contribution to a thread jacka$$. Hope your Jeep never needs anything.

That leak is most likely from one of the rubber hoses in the evap system (not just at the box). Follow those lines all the way to the engine bay. Even if they are hard lines, there are sections of rubber hose in there that connect hard line to hard line. The hard lines will either be metal or plastic too. Look really carefully for the leaks. A gross leak can be only 1/2" or so so it's tough to find. Good luck.

Check the hoses at the box by the gas tank. Mine was split on the top of the largest hose, so it was not apparant just by looking at it. My understanding from other threads is that that little hose is not available from the dealer separately, but you have to buy all the plastic 'hard line' that goes with it. Of course, both ends of the little hose are different sizes (hard line smaller, connection to cannister larger).

What I ended up doing was getting a piece of fuel line that fit the hard line, then stretched the other end by working 1/4 in drive sockets into it (used some silicone spray so it slid in easier). I kept going up socket sizes one by one, until I got the end of the hose stretched large enough to fit over the cannister connection, then jammed it on. Been fine for almost a year now.

I actually found an elbow of fuel line that fit and used hose clamps. It's been 3 years now and now worries.

Thanks guys. Ill have to get under there and investigate some more. I went throught my Haynes manual for the diagrams and ill follow the hoses. Any other tips would be great, thanks again...ill let you know what i find.

thanks
Brendan

Back