• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Unicorn - a light duty trail rig

Is Dallas going to sell those shackles?

Is Dallas going to sell those shackles?

Very unlikely. He hates building shackles, and its a saturated market with very little room for profit.

And really they are *so* extra boomarangy that I don't think many people would find them useful.

But you could always ask him.

It will get the 7075 arms, but his kit uses 1" shank johnny joints and the joints I already had sitting around new are 1.25" shank, so instead of spend the money twice I'm just running these for now. When I redo the axles I'll pick up the correct joints and move these over to another project.

Either that or I'll just machine another set of arms with 1.25" threads. Either way works. These arms were supposed to just be for mockup and interference checking. They aren't heavy duty enough for any hard trail use, but are perfectly good for Cal to commute on.

I'll sell them, but I doubt you'd wanna pay for them. Ignoring drawing time those took a couple hours to machine the tubes, cut the plates, bend, fixture and weld. At $100/hr those are some spendy shackles.

Fair enough.

I had similar thoughts to cal in terms of what I want from Deaver so that shackle might make sense. But given the limited market I get where you’re coming from

The million dollar question right here. I really want 265/75/16's to fit without trimming, or notch custom's flares to not be total garbage. SOL on both points, so unsure what I'm going to do.

The next step is a rear 44 with 4.10's and a Grip Pro LSD. Once that's done, the front will be a WJ converted HP30 with the same internals, so I need to figure out tires before I get that far.

I'm running 265/75/16 Nitto Mud's and they stuff really well in the rear and pretty well in the front. I bumped it out so they leave about 1/2" before they hit the fenders. I don't recall if I trimmed off the lip on the front fenders.

I installed a rear Isuzu 95ish D44 that as worked out pretty well so far.

I'm running 265/75/16 Nitto Mud's and they stuff really well in the rear and pretty well in the front. I bumped it out so they leave about 1/2" before they hit the fenders. I don't recall if I trimmed off the lip on the front fenders.

I installed a rear Isuzu 95ish D44 that as worked out pretty well so far.

pics?

how much lift?

I'm wondering what the thoughts are on using a long,flat spring

I'm guessing they ride softer, but can you tow a trailer or carry any weight?

They're still Deaver G9's. I should be good for anything I'd want to put in there.

If they were too soft, I can pull them and have Deaver adjust them pretty easily.

Random post to see if Cal gets a notification email.

:eyes:

pics?

how much lift?

Unsure on the exact lift as it had an previous installed OME lift that I have added to but measuring off a stock xj in the shop a couple weeks ago it seems to be about 3.75"-4".

pNnxqzDmVZHRM6ydbKTtySUpg2o7rmFIXJ3tIx9AmkqTjfjfgi8xyiB9NUOlpKnv06oOpn-7xIXtO5CWuODPzW-O9NjUQx0qMz_7XoEq7ggBm8pMvh4IhxBe1d16ZqXjAcxcKuqXkr2A5gfBq1iyXzvYaXYUrDyrAspw3oxCZ37d5gqb4q0-RzZaR8j4__1WDWyknGyzMHZ2XaQ1s4u--HvhV4OBIgPubGfxt5aC8rbrpweCmKe7SI53IUgogcD7QAI7zWFH03yG-CJvtvT_C-vYRLCC0NgomQoXpnOPktNrveB126CL-K5iGYKGa2S0tlATfSsBu_0vzZPoOhZjAM0RMC-RxWg-J4YhRmjHTF30vFQZWo6AVQgvEgrTxpC0eUoCBuuRm5x5uaIyuPthyn-csCicZI3wW5wuJRc922RvqFH86BgsmpAxDAut2Foa24OVbgxL7dfa1YBKaW_rnakQdt-JyuqgqmwZGgFZ7_KIts4N-NAmYbAVQTqFmIi039AGX-b_QxVhw3jlzMdO7-ExsD_hD3WNZmDJozQV71rhXwH0t-kbXQ2Mb7MdtDXomraBrjFEAAmaim0EpD_aTaPyE1CVHtON0by0mxFI=w1208-h800-no

Im sure I have better pics but all I can find now.

Last edited:
The Isuzu (or Passport) axle worked pretty well but was sort of a PIA to install. It's sprung under so the perches have to be cut off and moved but also means the brake calipers have to be moved as they would hit the leaf spring. Requires cutting of the wheel flange machining them down a bit and rotating them. Not the end of the world but definitely some extra work. They are 58" WMS, the stock XJ rear is around 59-60"( I think?). I ended up running 5/8" spacers on each wheel, within 3/4" of stock.

Slow weekend, but I swapped the very old atlas (serial 0068) out for the MUCH newer one off of 4643 which has a fresh rebuild on it.

20180325_125154-me.jpg

Its funny, I've never used the trans jack for a trans, but it makes an atlas swap really really easy.

20180325_124129-me.jpg

Now on to working out shifter stuff.

Back