• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

problems with new front springs

JJ13

NAXJA Forum User
Installed a set of Rusty's 6 1/2 front springs on Thurs. I am now getting a weird sound from the drivers side spring, and I noticed the spring is touching the ear for the upper ball joint ( the axle housing). The spring does not fit real well in the lower pocket. When I accelerate I get a sound like a rattlesnake's tail rattling from the front left side. Anyone have similar problems?? I also noticed the spring retainer clip is stripped. I was able to get it to tighten on the spring, but like I said the spring doesn't fit real well in the pocket. I will call Rusty on Monday to see if he has any ideas. Until then does anyone have any experience with this, or any ideas???

TIA,

JJ

Do you have an adjustable track bar, and if so did you adjust it to center the axle under the vehicle?

no it isn't adjustable, but I had taken it off and lengthened it a little when my lift was at 4". The axle could stand to go towards the passsenger side a little. I think I will order some tubing and thread adapters and make my spare Trac bar adjustable. With the axle to far towards the drivers side I would think the spring on the passenger side would rub. Also my control arms are not adjustable, so I think it is time to build some new ones so I can dial the front in a little better.

On the drivers side you can get a nut onto the clamp for the lower spring mount. (replace the stock bolt with longer one).Also check if your spring is hitting the upper bump stop. Although it takes some time, pulling the spring and repositioning the bump stop[(beat the snot out of it with a #5 location modification device [2lb. sledge]) can get rid of any buzz caused by contact with the spring. And as Eagle says.....get the axel centered.

You do know that the spring fits in the lower mount only one way right? There should be a spot where the end of the coil rests in the bucket and if you don't have it there it will cause the spring to bow outward.

thats a big 10-4 Fatxj...I think I have a few different things working against me...sounds like time to bite the bullet and start hacking and welding =)

thanks guys...

With that much lift I would suspect control arm length.Are the springs parallel the the bump stop/spring tower?

I was just checking that out...the bump stop is almost touching the springs in the front. I think I shall make some new control arms this week. Do you guys bother putting a bend in the lowers like the aftermarket guys do? I think I will lower the bracket for the lowers a tad at the same time. Anyway thanks for the replies.

JJ:D

Back