• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

farmermatt, driveshaft problems!!!

atowley

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering, I am setting up my cherokee with 8 inches lift, dana 44 front with ford style radius arms like farmermatt's truck. The front driveshaft looks like it's going to bind when the suspension cycles. Did you have, or anybody else have problems? Am I going to need a high angle driveshaft? Thanks,

my arms are 36 inches long and I'm mounting them flush to the front of the custom crossmember that I built. Which is pretty much what your's looks like. THanks,

I had to lengthen mine when I put LAs in it was about a 1/4 inch too short at static height. I didn't test it all drooped out, it shouldn't change much though since the LAs and DS are about the same length anyhow. I sleeved it and lengthened it to put it in the middle of the slip range. I still need to sleeve and lengthen my spare. The cool thing is once I sleeve the spare the front and rear shafts will interchange.

A lot of times people get by just using the stock shaft because they stick the LAs or RAs (same thing really) where the axle was with the short arms, which is of course farther back. I wanted to get back to 101 in wheelbase or even longer. I now have about a 101.5 in WB. before the LAs with the shortarms it was 99 in.

I sleeved it with 2 in pipe. its not balanced but my front ds only spins in 4wd anyway. BTW I surprised how much thicker the front shaft was compared to the rear shaft.

Unless you've got something really funky goin on you should be fine. What front end are you using? Which "C" bushings are you using. The different degree bushings need to go in the "right" ways meaning front to back & top to bottom. If you put them in upside down they'll throw the front end wacky. If you're using stock bushings than it doesn't matter. Keep in mind that with the radius arms fixing the front axle in place the pinion angle will change little if at all because the drive shaft & arms are at about the same angle & length. Some pics of whats going on would be helpful if you still can't figure it out. Good luck.

Matt

thanks for the info. I am using the stock c bushings. And I am running a dana 44 out of an old style bronco. I will see if I can get some pics taken after I get back from vacation. Thanks again,

Back