• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how burnt is too burnt?

crazyoffroader

NAXJA Forum User
I have an '88 with an AW4 that seems to be having tranny problems, especialy under a load.
I pulled the dipstick to check the fluid level and found the level to be correct, but the color was something just a hint darker than new motor oil.
My question is: can I get away with changing just the fluid and filter?

Just in case the tranny fluid is not the only problem, these are my symptoms:
shifts up too rapidly, so that when going 25mph I am in OD
shifts up rather than down when pedal is floored
only shifts down manualy, or when going <15mph
torque converter locks and unlocks hard
comfort/power switch only works when it wants to

I have a good spare AW4 in the garage, but I would rather use the one in the truck if I can.
Thanks in advance for the help.

sounds exactly like a problem i had with a bad TPS... got your engine wet recently? thats what made it happen for me.. did it start suddenly one day or happen slowly over time?

sidriptide said:
sounds exactly like a problem i had with a bad TPS... got your engine wet recently? thats what made it happen for me.. did it start suddenly one day or happen slowly over time?
I'm not sure, we bought the jeep in the current condition, but I can say that the TPS, MAT, MAP, CTS, EGR valve, and a whole slew of other sensors, valves, etc... have been gone through and replaced in our atempt to get it running right (both temp sensors ended up being bad).
So, no it has not been wet recently, but I don't know about before we bought it. Same answer about the problem itself.

Mine was slipping and shifting too early. Changed the oil out (the dealer had put ATF, in it instead of Dexron), changed it three times, over a period of a couple of months (case sale at Wal Mart).
Found the 4 pole TPS connector (tranny) had some oil or something in it that was really messing with my TPS values. Adjusted the TPS to around 15% of imput voltage, ended up with around 3.9 volts (around 4 volts seems to work well) between B and D (I put a little cut in the wire and ran the harness over the TB rubber intake, makes adjusting a breeze), with the connector connected and ignition in run position. Then adjusted the TV cable.
Tranny works like new. Have a spare in the garage I haven´t needed yet.
The connectors between the TCU and the TPS, often have corrosion and resistance, messes with the adjustment and the very low voltages. If an adjustment doesn´t help, a resistance test throught eh harness might be called for. Should be close to 4.65 volts between pins A and D (book calls for 5Volts, but thats rarley/never there).

crazyoffroader said:
I'm not sure, we bought the jeep in the current condition, but I can say that the TPS, MAT, MAP, CTS, EGR valve, and a whole slew of other sensors, valves, etc... have been gone through and replaced in our atempt to get it running right (both temp sensors ended up being bad).
So, no it has not been wet recently, but I don't know about before we bought it. Same answer about the problem itself.

i just wouldnt think that the fluid alone would be the cause of the shifting pattern.. i still lean toward the TPS...

turns out to be the tranny brain box gone bad, a buddy of mine lent me his to try it out and the jeep worked perfect, now all I need is that piece.
What might cause this computer to go bad?

Back