• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spare tire carrier

dana44

NAXJA Forum User
Hey!

Can anyone with the factory spare tire carrier post a picture here? I know there are at least two different styles available from my dealer, one with the latch on the bumper and one with the latch on the tailgate. Whitch one should I choose? Thanks for any info on this, guys! Ordering a carrier from AEW, C4x4, or any other is not an option becouse shipping to Norway would cost a fortune!

Arnt H. Andresen
Trondheim, Norway

Have you checked for any fabbers in your area? Last time I priced a tyre carrier at the dealer, it was cheaper to buy custom or make it myself...

A good fabber can work from your pix and probably do it with mostly stock parts. Also, you can find writeups on homebuilt tyre carriers that a good shop can knock out for you, and you can still come out ahead! I'd start checking with Gojeep or www.madxj.com for ideas, and work out from there.

As far as details - since early XJ's have fibreglas liftgates, I'd definitely want to put the latch on the bumper for strength. Even with the later XJ's (1997+) with steel liftgates, the bumper is thicker and makes for a better latch point for anything with any weight to it (or I'd want to hang a plate inside the liftgate in either case, to spread the load of the tyre wanting to bounce about.)

5-90

Arnt,
The only factory tire racks that I have seen either latch on the bumper or the rear lift gate. The lift gate version will eventually cause the lift gate to crack in the latch area. Those are the newer of the two. The bumper latch ones are a much better and stronger design. I believe that they used them up till ’90. I used a factory one out of a junkyard and fabricated some brackets to make it work. The tire rack came off of a '88 and went on my '91. You will have to make an internal reinforcement brace (rear passenger side quarter panel), notch a hole in the bumper for a latch plate and 2 brackets, and notch the passenger side plastic cap for a hinge point and bracket. The whole project was pretty easy and only took a day. I don't know how to post pictures here, but if you give me your email address I'll send them to you.

Terry

dana44 said:
Hey!

Can anyone with the factory spare tire carrier post a picture here? I know there are at least two different styles available from my dealer, one with the latch on the bumper and one with the latch on the tailgate. Whitch one should I choose? Thanks for any info on this, guys! Ordering a carrier from AEW, C4x4, or any other is not an option becouse shipping to Norway would cost a fortune!

Arnt H. Andresen
Trondheim, Norway

I just posted a picture of the type that latches on the hatch, try the link below:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15972

It's been on the Jeep for 13 years, and the hatch isn't cracked. The hinge bushings leave something to be desired, and the mount does hit when wheeling, but overall it has worked very well for a long time.

Fred

Bumper / quaterpanel mount type...definately the strongest of OEM types.

MYHEEP.jpg

I bought this from some old guy for like $20...it was sitting behind his shed. I fabbed up stronger backing plates, and added lights in this picture.

After the picture I used a heavy chain for a limiting strap, drilled some holes to mount a high lift, and also 5g cas can holder. I only went up to a 31" tire with it but was plenty hard on it...no problems. Lifted the jeep to 5.5"REHD...lowered the jeep to stock and it's now the 2nd car beater...and the tire carrier is sitting behind my shed.

For a write up go here MADXJ Forget the warnings about tire size...you should be good up to 33" if you aren't crazy and do up stronger backing plates.

i have the type that bolts to the bumper and quarter panel and secures to the bumper. word of caution. place washer on the bolt heads where it mounts to the support brackets. i did based on i think "ed stevens" post and i never had problems. i've dragged and bumped a 33" spare over the rubicon and moab and countless other so cal spots and other than some sheet metal tweaks to the underside of the bumper it stayed on and did not even rattle. however while at calico california one of the club members had his carrier fall off the mounts only held on by the caqble which keeps it from swinging out too far. the bolts go through a simple brass spherical bushing that can pull right out of the steel mounting point. the washers keep it from potentialy traveling too far! lol. lynch mob got a super deal , i think i payed close to 150.00 usd for mine with all the factory hardware. and now it just sits in my garage as i am running a c-roc rear bumper and have yet to re fab a carrier (though i am really spoiled now by being able to see out the rear)
i used some old shock washers that i ground one side a bitt flat to fit a bit tighter.

Yes...definately do the washers, as Mikeyl said. I forgot about that but I too had to use washers to keep them from poping out. I tried to find replacements for those sperical things to no avail.

Back