• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle strength debate?

Incredible Hulk

NAXJA Forum User
I just heard someone in my club say that an 8.25 is way stronger and better than a d35. I am curious how so?
He also stated that the d44 is not much of an upgrade over the 8.25. Is this true? How so?
He also claims that the 8.8 is WAY stronger than a d44 and is a better axle all around.
I figured I would come to you, the NAXJA experts and ask the question to you.
Does he speak truth?

As usual, the short answer is "It depends."

There are actually two 8.25 axles. Through 1996 the 8.25 used 27-spline shafts that are the same diameter as the Dana 35. However, the ring gear is larger, and the tubes and housing are stronger than the D35. Starting in 1997 the 8.25 went to larger 29-spline shafts.

The 8.25 is almost as strong as a Dana 44, and has larger axle tubes. The downside is that it is a c-clip axle (the Dana 44 is not), and it has a very low pinion, even compared to a low-pinion (standard) D44.

The 8.8 is slightly stronger than a D44 according to some sources. The primary advantages of the 8.8 are that it's readily available, and it can be found with rear disc brakes.

Eagle is right on the money, each have their plus and minus's. For those on a budget, a cheap or free axle is usually the way to go.

Hands down both the D44 and the 8.8 offer the most strength and better upgrade options such as locker and gearing choice's. The 29-spline 8.25's are good, but are limited to 4.56 and have been know to be vibebration prone and noisey.

Ratz!

In my post above I meant to specify that the 29-spline 8.25 is nearly as strong as the D44 (actually stronger in some aspects, not quite as strong in others).

I would give the edge to the D44, as the 8.8 has a rather large pumpkin and CAN cause ground clearance issues when used w/small lifts.

One other tidbit is the diameter of 27-spline 8.25 axle shaft is actually smaller than the D35 shaft. Granted, it's not much.

Tom

While on the subject of axels, I would like to ask a question. I know it has been asked many times but for my peace of mind I would like to hear it again.
When changing from the 8.25 to the D44 will the existing driveshaft from the 8.25 work with the D44?:banghead:
TIA.

I'll find out for certain tomorrow morning...I'm installing my d-44 then.

8.8's are c clip, only a problem if you snap a shaft:fuse:

as for the drive shaft working with a d-44 install...it does. I did have to get a new pinion yoke as mine was boogered up and the bolts from the 8.25 straps would not go into the d-44 yoke...but the driveshaft is correct length etc.

where can I get ahold of alloy axles for the 8.25 29 spline, in Alberta,Canada. I am back and forth on 8.8 swap or detroit and alloy for my 4:56 - 8 1/4". Seems cheaper to leave the diff in there. I want alloys because I'm running 35" Also does an aussie work well in the 8 1/4 and is the carrier strong enough.

where can I get ahold of alloy axles for the 8.25 29 spline, in Alberta,Canada. I am back and forth on 8.8 swap or detroit and alloy for my 4:56 - 8 1/4". Seems cheaper to leave the diff in there. I want alloys because I'm running 35" Also does an aussie work well in the 8 1/4 and is the carrier strong enough.

The 8.25 is gearable to 4.88 now and 29 spline axles are found on late model 96's as well. An aussie will work fine but i'd lead you to a Powertrax No-Slip. It's a little more money but virtually invisible back there. Get a good solid diff cover (front and rear Northridge4x4.ca has Riddler covers at a good price.) The ring gear is strong enough, no worries.
Again Northridge has Superior axles and some others as well. Nice thing about Northridge4x4.ca is it's in Ponoka,AB nice and close for shipping for ya. Any company that they have listed in their 'Brands' means they can get anything that company makes, even if it's not listed in the on-line store. :cheers:-B
You can also try NSOR.com (north shore off-road) they are in Canada too, BC and AB if i'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
Back