• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cracked precat

Check the recyclers online, car-parts.com

2001 precat cracked in 2 places $1750 for the part!
Anyone have any luck welding one of these up?

I bought a complete manifold assy, with both mini-cats, from a member of the SoCal local chapter for $100.
You might want to try posting your need in the Sierra chapter's "For Sale" forum.
Wrecking yards cannot legally sell used catalytic converters in California due to the DMV's strict smog rules.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/aftermktcat.htm

Where is your mini-cat cracked?

car-parts.com and he can order it from, well, just about anywhere.

run a 99-older manifold?

run a 99-older manifold?

It's a California vehicle and would fail the semi-annual smog inspection.
No, he is stuck with the twin mini-cats as long as it is street legal.

car-parts.com and he can order it from, well, just about anywhere.
Get the "new" used cat delivered to Nevada.
As mentioned in my previous posting, it's illegal to sell a used catalytic converter in California.

From the Calif. DMV website.
"The ARB adopted revised regulations and evaluation procedures in October 2007 for the approval of new aftermarket catalytic converters sold in California. The requirements apply to all new aftermarket converters produced for sale or sold in California after January 1, 2009. The requirements also sunset provisions allowing the sale of certified used catalytic converters beginning July 10, 2008. This means that no used converter can be legally advertised for sale, sold, or installed in California after this date. "

Get the "new" used cat delivered to Nevada.
As mentioned in my previous posting, it's illegal to sell a used catalytic converter in California.

From the Calif. DMV website.
"The ARB adopted revised regulations and evaluation procedures in October 2007 for the approval of new aftermarket catalytic converters sold in California. The requirements apply to all new aftermarket converters produced for sale or sold in California after January 1, 2009. The requirements also sunset provisions allowing the sale of certified used catalytic converters beginning July 10, 2008. This means that no used converter can be legally advertised for sale, sold, or installed in California after this date. "

ROTFLMFAO!

Sorry, almost forgot what a cesspool CA is.

ROTFLMFAO!

I will remind you of this next February when you are freezing your rear end off lol.
Half our relatives live in Oregon and they spend much of the winter down here in SoCal, enjoying the warm weather.

I will remind you of this next February when you are freezing your rear end off lol.
Half our relatives live in Oregon and they spend much of the winter down here in SoCal, enjoying the warm weather.

Born in Richmond--Bay Area--grew up in Los Gatos, Boulder Creek, Scotts Valley, and Santa Cruz. In the Marines, if I wasn't overseas I was at Pendleton. I definitely know CA. LOL! Bailed in 1985, and only have to go back about 4-6 times a year on business, and that is always less than 48 hours per trip in the Modesto area. The closest I ever came to freezing my parts in Oregon was on a Thanksgiving cow elk hunt outside of Prineville--it was NEGATIVE 4 degrees opening day.

Thanks guys I will look into those options. I was told the cargo was not ca compliant.

Ran some sea foam through it. Look like it is the flange on number two. I'll try to tighten it once I get back from the con.

Born in Richmond--Bay Area--grew up in Los Gatos, Boulder Creek, Scotts Valley, and Santa Cruz. In the Marines, if I wasn't overseas I was at Pendleton. I definitely know CA. LOL! Bailed in 1985, and only have to go back about 4-6 times a year on business, and that is always less than 48 hours per trip in the Modesto area. The closest I ever came to freezing my parts in Oregon was on a Thanksgiving cow elk hunt outside of Prineville--it was NEGATIVE 4 degrees opening day.

No wonder you call cali a cesspool Modesto is worse then oakland! :gonnablow

I replaced the precat/front pipe on our 04 TJ- that system introduced itself to me in a very poor way. I HATE PRECATS now. The original failed and the cat material turned into a metal-foam-tenis ball that danced around in the chamber- till it started puling the hole at times. I bought a replacement from RockAuto- but I believe they are "non CALI compliant"

That system is hard to work on, line up, torque, and get a good seal on- and is notorious for the flang bolts loosening up. I hope yours are just loose.

Pre-cats suck. Mine started throwing codes for low efficiency at about 110k. I replaced them at 120K with some Walker brand pre-cats from RockAuto.com and new NTK O2 sensors. They seem to be fine for now but what a pain. Not to mention the extra heat they emit allowing everything to bake in the engine compartment.

Not going back to Muffler Tech again. flanges at the pre cat and manifold were still loose after I told them. They insisted it was cracked and described the location of the cracks to me.

My buddy stopped by and we tightened the bolts. Guess what no more leak!

sure beats the $2300 I was quoted.

Not going back to Muffler Tech again. flanges at the pre cat and manifold were still loose after I told them. They insisted it was cracked and described the location of the cracks to me.

My buddy stopped by and we tightened the bolts. Guess what no more leak!

sure beats the $2300 I was quoted.

That's good news! $2300 is completely ridiculous. You could get a new engine for that amount of money.

To the above poster who discussed running a '99 manifold:

That won't work with this setup. The 2000 and 2001 Cherokees with the Cali emissions package have 4 O2 sensors. One before and after each of the two pre-cats. In order to run a '99 manifold or a 2000 non-Cali emissions manifold, you would need to swap in the wiring harness and computer from one of those XJs.

ROTFLMFAO!

Too many poor quality cats were being sold in CA and the cars were failing smog 2 years after the cat was installed and the car was supposedly "fixed."

The regs are overkill but they are there to protect the people who are paying good money to have their cars fixed but yet get screwed 2 years later when they need another cat installed and the 1yr 12,000 mile warranty has run out.

Back