• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

#1 Plug Burnt at 4k miles

dustybill

NAXJA Forum User
The #1 cylinder spark plug lasts about 4K mile. The center electrode is completely burned off. I keep replacing the plug with the stock Champions.

The XJ is a 98 Sport, automatic, 230K miles. Re-Man cyl head about 10K miles ago. Had to replace the head due to overheating.

Any ideas why it's always the #1 cylinder? All the other plugs look fine.

Thanks,
--dustybill

Try swapping out that fuel injector for a different one. Prob running too lean and over heating it. could also be the reason for a blown headgasket (if it blew around where that cylinder is) b/c of detonation due to lean mix.

I checked the plug chart. None of the pictures matched. My center electrod was burnt down to the insulation. The side electrode was worn too. A mechanic thought it was running lean, maybe due to a crack in the intake port, or some other vacuum leak. The head is a re-man with about 10K miles. The injectors are original. I'm leaning toward the injector, as fuel injector cleaner has helped rough running in the past. It's running pretty good with the new plug, but I would like to find the cause of this.

Back