• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snapped top shackle bolt

I soak down all my bolts for days before I touch them now.. Mix of acetone and atf. They slide out easy usually. What happened here is the end of the bolt was probably really rusty and it clogged the threads and got jammed. I would dremel a notch into it.. A really good one and try to turn it in with an impact gun, and then if you can see the bolt clean the threads off and lube it really well and then try removing it again.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

Update:

GOT IT! Ended up angle grinding a flap in the frame put a second nut on the interior threads (as I mangled it where it snapped) screwed it down got a good amount of pressure on it.

Couldn't get the nut any further down as my wrench wouldnt reach but seemed to did crack the weld.

pry bar + elbow grease = win

Thank Jebus. I'd probably cry if I had to pay to have it done. (and I almost did.)

@Solomon7 Hope my struggle helps in some way

@Ou2mame I soaked them for like 2 dyas :bawl::cry::rof:

Irony is I had to deal with this on my pos a few days ago. Both of them froze, so we cut them flush, then they wouldn't turn out. Didn't have a welder on hand to put a nut or extension bolt on the nubs. I was installing shackle relocation brackets so we just drilled and tapped the 14mm nub for 1/2" instead of trying to clean the original hardware again. Cutting a flap and chiseling the weld nut would be the proper fix if I need 14mm again

Back