• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater "T" Housing Source?

Are you talking about the heater control valve? It's more than a t and the only thing that logically fits this scenario.

The early Renix years had just a T, with no control valve. 89 had the CV, 87 did not, not sure about the 88.

Do you have the T-stat upside down, or on the wrong side of the gasket?

I never had a problem with mine. But I did pay attention to what went where and made sure the T-stat was right side up, etc.

After pulling to current T fitting off, it was in a lot better condition than I anticipated. The rust was just surface rust, so I cleaned it up and all is well. The stubbed elbow I linked to above would not have worked, as the raised portion is to small for the heater hose.

The bad news is that my T-stat is still leaking after installing a new housing and FelPro gasket - even worse than the original leak. :mad:

I used a galvanized steel pipe T-fitting, threaded, 3/8" NPT with 3/8" steel x 2" long threaded pipe nipples for over 10 years on an old 78 Dodge SW that worked perfectly. The threads acted like hose barbs to hold the hose in place with a worm gear clamp. I also used a brass gate valve on one of the lines on my 85 diesel frankenjeep as an on/off valve and flow rate control of the flow to heater core.

Yep. The home supplies stores have a stubbed copper elbow meant for PEX type tubing. It's not barbed as nicely as a brass of PVC type fitting, but a clamp can squeeze the hose over the raised portion of the stub that may do the trick. I'm just hoping that the pipe diameter is close to the size of the current Tee fitting. I won't know for sure until I get the old one off. Heading for the project zone now.

Link to stubbed elbow.

i always have trouble keeping the thermostat housing from leaking. i usually just gently tighten the bolts until it stops leaking. assuming the thermostat is properly mounted.

One other issue may be the need to clean out the female threads so the bolts go all the way in? I have never had an issue, but I am anal about cleaning the sealing surfaces and bolts and female threads. I even run a thread tap if needed.

Back