• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noobie question about Axle Seals in d30 Front (Leak?)

wescam

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, bear with me. I did a search and read a few threads about replacing seals. Most discussion was about inner seals when replacing carrier, etc.

My knowledge on this is very limited, and I had my ride regeared at a well-known shop about 250 miles from where I live about three weeks ago.

At a local jeep club get-together, we built a small rock garden in the big back yard at this dude's house. Just to goof off. All the other Jeeps were Wranger types (Rubis, TJs, a CJ-8 and a YJ) and went over the rocks. I went and got my XJ (no skids, no fender trim, lol) and idled over the rocks in 4wd low range. Everyone was a bit shocked that I didn't touch anything. No scrapes, no rubs, heh, anyway.

Now I knew that was the first time I was in 4WD since the work was done, and like every other day, the next day I checked under my Jeep for any leaks.

What looks like gear oil leaks out and drips off the driver's side end of the axle. It only happens when I park driver's side down in my parking garage (it's angled). I also noticed a small bit of what looks like gear oil where the front drive shaft goes in to the diff., but it was never enough to form a drop.

On the front axle, at the end, if I park driver's side down, overnight maybe four drops will hit the concrete and one drop is like hanging on the bottom of the knuckle.

I called the mechanic back, he asked for pictures and told me to keep an eye on it. The oil level in the diff is fine.

I think a seal is a bit nic'd or something, becuase on the passenger side, it's bone dry. (I'm clueless on this remember).

Isn't there an outer seal there?

Also, I just have to ask, why would it start after using 4wd? I mean just spinning the front axle in 4WD was enough to identify the leak after the gear install?

Also, if you were to overfill the diff somehow (like if it weren't level) would an overflow leak out in this fashion? Isn't there a tube it would vent out of?

When I was cutting my fender liner and whacking off my bumper bling endcap area for tire fitment, I looked all around for that diff vent to see where it would dump oil. Couldn't find it, but it was cloudy and raining.

I'm not worried about it right now, I'll just keep checking the fluid and wait for the mechanic to get back to me. I just want to get some questions answered.

Thanks as always for the help (in advance) FWIW I posted it in mod. tech since the gears were modded recently. I suppose it could be an OEM quesiton also.

on the front axle there is only the inner seal. Its quite common to damage these when replacing axle shafts which you have to do in order to regear. These are a PITA to replace so the guy doing your gears might not have.

The pinion yoke leak is problebly a nicked seal or something. IF he put new bearings in(he better have) when he regeared it then bearing wear shouldn't be a problem.

There really isnt any seal on the outside end of the axle, just a little plastic thing to keep junk out, fwiw, if the axle shafts were pulled, it's possible that they got some gear oil in the axle tube that's dripping out, a little messy maybe, but not a big deal, check the diff level, and see if it is consistently doing it after a while, if the diff level is noticeably lower, and that seal leaks you will have a pretty oily mess on that side, if the level is ok, and it isnt getting any nastier, I would bet that there was some oil in the tube - hth

Last edited:
makes sense, I didn't know if there was an inner and outer seal -- so both posts cleared that up for me.

What I'll do is keep in touch with the mech, send him some pics, just keep checking the level and "wait and see". I'm going to change the gear oil out in about 300 miles. Did the rear at 500. Part of the next 300 miles will be light (green rated) trails running in 4WD some, so I'll keep an eye on it then especially.

No wonder all the posts in my search were about inner seals when regearing, etc. Heh.

So if this continues, it's a big job to get in there and replace seal?

Thanks again.

wescam said:
So if this continues, it's a big job to get in there and replace seal?
Yes! You have to pull the shafts and the carrier. Then it takes a special tool to do it.(unless someone here has come up with a home made one of somekind)

DrMoab said:
Then it takes a special tool to do it.(unless someone here has come up with a home made one of somekind)

I'm haven't torn into a non-vacuum-disconnect D30 axle yet, but I had some really annoying seal issues with the vac-disconnect piece in my YJ. To reinstall the seals (there was one on the passenger's side, about 6" from the end of the tube, and another on the driver's side, located right inside the diff case), I used a long threaded rod, some nuts, and a large washer to "pull" the seal into place. It's a little tricky (I ruined several $10 seals when I first tried it), but it works.

To remove the seals I just used the handle of my Hi-Lift and a big hammer :).

Thanks again for the replies. I'm going to let it ride for now and keep a close eye on any more leaking and the fluid level. That kind of work is beyond DIY for me, for now. Also will follow up with the installer.

wescam said:
Thanks again for the replies. I'm going to let it ride for now and keep a close eye on any more leaking and the fluid level. That kind of work is beyond DIY for me, for now. Also will follow up with the installer.
so what happened?

hey iroc 86... how did you make the tool, im doing the same thing but i wrecked the first seal and i dont wanna wreck it again. any pics??? i would much appreciate it!!!

This thread is from early '05 and iroc86 hasn't had any activity on the site since October of '07. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a response...

^^^^^
Holy crap! :eek: That's got to be some kind of a record. Very kind of you to reply given you've been away so long...

Still driving an XJ?

(Cool link by the way. I'm getting ready to install an ARB in my 30 and just might try that.)

Last edited:
^^^^^
Holy crap! :eek: That's got to be some kind of a record. Very kind of you to reply given you've been away so long...

Still driving an XJ?

(Cool link by the way. I'm getting ready to install an ARB in my 30 and just might try that.)

Thanks! It's entertaining to see old posts show up as an email notification every now and then -- people are searching, and that's a good thing!

Unfortunately, my XJ is gone. I replaced it with a Cadillac back in '07, and have since sold the Caddy and bought this gem. Trouble is, I wish I had never sold any of those vehicles... if I only had the room (and garage space)!

Back