• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone brace their stock trackbar mount?

MG2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've currently got a BDS track bar that I'm pretty happy with. The single shear bar works great on my Jeep which is primarily a DD, secondly a camping/wheeling/fishing rig. Currently sitting around 3.5" up front 4" in the rear.

My question is, has anyone built a track bar bracket brace for the stock mount? Something similar to the RE model or other brands that allows a brace to be bolted to the bracket and then the passenger side frame rail?

It would need to be removable and not interfere with the TRE style flex joint on the BDS track bar.

A new, double shear bar and bracket is not in the cards right now. I'm well aware that is the preferred set up.

Thoughts?

Wondering why you think an RE type brace is necessary, especially for light duty use ? If you have the skills and tools to build a brace, why not just beef up the stock bracket, or build your own heavy duty bracket ?

Wondering why you think an RE type brace is necessary, especially for light duty use ? If you have the skills and tools to build a brace, why not just beef up the stock bracket, or build your own heavy duty bracket ?

Probably not necessary at all. Mainly thinking between that and a steering box brace, it would tighten up the front end, more rigidity I guess. Trackbars/brackets seem to be a likely spot for some play so why not. Preventative maintenance?

I couldn't build a heavy duty bracket for a tapered TRE style joint, I could probably pull off a brace.

Thanks!

For what you do I would just drill the lower bolts out on the bracket to 5/8 and put new hardware in. If you're looking to stiffen the front some more look into something like boostwerks steering box brace. While I built my own brace, it felt much tighter taking corners at higher speeds.

For what you do I would just drill the lower bolts out on the bracket to 5/8 and put new hardware in. If you're looking to stiffen the front some more look into something like boostwerks steering box brace. While I built my own brace, it felt much tighter taking corners at higher speeds.

9/16 would likely be enough to remove the slop

Agree on the boostwerks brace....tightened mine up a good it.

9/16 would likely be enough to remove the slop

When you go to the larger bolt (9/16), there is no need to drill out the bushing. Just use a bushing for a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. It's the same OD (In fact I suspect it comes out of the same mold, across manufacturers- Master Pro and Moog being an example I have recent experience with) and the same ID for the sleeve- the sleeve being a different ID.

Yes, you can certainly drill out the stock sleeve- but with most folks not having a drill press to do the job properly, why not just solve the problem for $20?

I came across this info when I bought the Clayton H/D bolt/nut kit.

When you go to the larger bolt (9/16), there is no need to drill out the bushing. Just use a bushing for a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. It's the same OD (In fact I suspect it comes out of the same mold, across manufacturers- Master Pro and Moog being an example I have recent experience with) and the same ID for the sleeve- the sleeve being a different ID.

Yes, you can certainly drill out the stock sleeve- but with most folks not having a drill press to do the job properly, why not just solve the problem for $20?

I came across this info when I bought the Clayton H/D bolt/nut kit.

That's good info, but we were talking about the bolts for the bracket to the body, not the bushing.

The boostwerks brace is a fantastic product, but is even more overkill for a lightly/moderately 4wheeled truck than an RE brace. For a simple low cost solution, I would get a set of stock XJ tow hook brackets, or a pair of steering box reinforcements, and then weld some rectangular tube, behind the stock bumper, between the two brackets. Any decent quality off-road bumper that has proper frame rail mounts would also work about the same.

Last edited:
The boostwerks brace is a fantastic product, but is even more overkill for a lightly/moderately 4wheeled truck than an RE brace. For a simple low cost solution, I would get a set of stock XJ tow hook brackets, or a pair of steering box reinforcements, and then weld some rectangular tube, behind the stock bumper, between the two brackets. Any decent quality off-road bumper that has proper frame rail mounts would also work about the same.

How about a front receiver hitch?

Yup, that is my intent. I just installed an IRO trackbar system and I swear I'm seeing a little bit of movement, even after putting a torque wrench on everything up front. Nothing is cracked, and I've put a C-Rok steering spacer up front as well. I think I'll expedite the frame reinforcement system and install a front receiver, and just be done with it all.

Back