• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 clunk

Rick.rob

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 01 sport 4.5 lift, 33's, sye. Just started today getting this clunk from under the center consule, had wife put it in drive and roll forward and back. It clunks going both ways. It don't do it when shifting back and forth, it's when it's just idling and moving. If you put it in drive or reverse and hold the brakes, no clunking. I can't hear the noise from outside the jeep but it pretty loud on the inside. Im gonna pull the inspection cover on tranny tommorow and make sure flex plate bolts are tight, all 6 u joints on drive shafts have less then 500 miles on them and feel tight. Tranny mount is in good shape as well. Any other possible causes?

I *could be* the parking brake cable hitting something. Though I don't remember what the cable on my '01 was hitting, it was. I now have a spring clipped to it holding off to the side.

The flex plate makes multiple rhythmic noises that are louder outside, so that is not a very likely the suspect. The parking brake cable isn't a good suspect either.

I would make sure the bushings on the 4x4 shifter mechanism are tight. Faulty bushings or misalignment of the mechanism will make a light clunking noise that will almost always stop if move or press down on the 4x4x shifter handle slightly. Then look at the exhaust mounts for failure, and the exhaust system to see if anything is contacting the body or the t-case crossmember. The motor mounts and the trans mount are also likely suspects.

Last edited:
I have narrowed it down to the tcase with a stethoscope the noise is the loudest by the front output of the t case. I am most likely gonna end up having to split the case, not a big deal but no where around me carries parts. I don't think its the chain because it with the rear end jacked up on Jack stands (tires removed) it still makes the sound.

Back