• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 or Ford 8.8

I see this argument often but can't really quantify it. What can you buy for an XJ 44 that you can't get for an 8.8?

there are more gearing options for a 44.
more axelshaft options for a 44
33, and 35 spline options in almost every locker choice.

the 44 has WAY better clearance. the 8.8 is a pig.

also, the shaft design on an 8.8 is bad, and they are prone to bending.

the number 1 reason the super88 C-clip eliminator was invented was to help prevent shafts bending.

D44s do not have this problem.

I am a fan of the 8.8 in a lot of applications. I run one. but its built.

like I said if you're going to build one from scratch a 44 is a better move.

in stock form I think the 8.8 is a slightly better choice.

Probably going to go with the 8.8. It seems like it may hold up better in the long run, not to mention it's already set up for an xj and it'll cost me less.

The 44 is a more desirable axle. Maybe not to you, but in general. They ARE getting hard to find, and generally pull really good money. Even if you're not going to use it you should go get that one from the junkyard. You should be able to make at least $100 off of it just by pulling it and reselling. I've seen several in the $4-500 range recently.

I was planning on putting an 8.8 in my MJ, mainly because it's a good axle that's cheap and plentiful. I grabbed one out of the junkyard and had it sitting here ready to go in when I had a good deal on a 44 come along. I jumped at it, and it'll be going in soon. The 8.8 will be going up for sale.

One thing I have not seen mentioned is that the 44 is a non c clip axle is it not? I'd take that over any c clip but that is me. The 8.8 has a weak stock carrier and likes to spin tubes in the axle housing too.

Weld the tubes and maybe truss it. He is only running 33s, i wouldnt think it would be a problem for 33s but thats just me and i dont know squat. :peace:

Yes, the 44 does not have C-clips. IMHO every axle needs the tubes welded to the center, but the 8.8 does seem to need it more than most.

Back